Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Web Marketing For Beginners Resources

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

My Recommendation would be when setting up your site don't forget about your search engine marketing.
    Yep. Definitely not something you should just tack on at the end. Ideally you'd have some kind of general marketing plan (including search marketing) from the outset. That plan should even be leading your site design and development.

The opt-in process trades their contact information for something they deem valuable.
    Good point. And that trade also shows more interest in you and your business than a person who happens across your site or who's contact info you bought from somewhere else. The person who gives you an email address in exchange for a free white paper or ebook is showing an interest and giving you permission to contact them again. Not all are going to buy something after receiving your emails, but more will than had you emailed random people.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

My advise would be that you have to start from day one with your marketing efforts. That way, it will be ingrained in every decision that you make as you go forward. If you want people to find your business online and off - you really have to prefect your online and offline marketing efforts as soon as possible. Because most people today - when seeking out products, services or information - turn to the web. And, if your business is not right up there at the top of the search listing - they will never find your business - regardless of how good your products and information is.

Quote Originally Posted by billbenson View Post
    I have a friend who is retired but running out of money faster than planned. He has access to some products that could make him enough money to not have negative cash flow. He wants to sell them on the web.

I would like to get him some web marketing 101 resources. Step one is to get him an understanding of onsite marketing IMO. Stuff like unique content, important tags, writing a page that sells, and certainly ways to rank well in G. Just the basics though.

Anybody have any recommendations? Again, just the basics until he gets a feel for that. He has no web experience.
    I appreciate everyones responses, but this has drifted off of the original topic which is quoted above.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

What us get off topic? Couldn't be. We never do that.

I'm not sure you can find a single marketing 101 resource or even a few links. There's a ton of information out there and it's more a matter of jumping in and starting to learn than finding a few specific resources.

If you visit SEO by the Sea and look toward the bottom of the right column there's a long list of SEO and marketing blogs. Bill maintains a great list and has a great blog himself, though maybe not a 101 type blog. I would start there and just click a few links and start reading until you find a few you like and then subscribe to each. SEOmoz has a whole bunch of free and paid guides to seo. Start with the one at the top, the Beginner's guide. It's free. There are other free and paid guides readily available and if your friend starts reading a few blogs on a regular basis the blogs will lead him to all of them.

As for more general marketing I like Seth Godin's books. I've also read books from the people at Grokdotcom and the Heath Brothers. You can also have your friend sit in one of the bookstore chains and look through the marketing section for an hour and pick a couple of books he likes. After awhile most of the advice you get is going to be similar so the reading and learning is often more about picking the sources you like the best. Much of the sources are going to tell you the same basic things.

I learned a lot about marketing on the web through them. I'd highly recommend subscribing to CopyBlogger for both marketing and copywriting advice.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals