Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Web Marketing For Beginners Resources

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Sorry I missed this thread Bill. I agree with everything that's been said already too. Definitely have him spend more time using the web. That has to be step 1. You're never going to be able to connect with potential customers online unless you've been a customer yourself.

As far as sites are concerned I was actually going to recommend the two Lyrafire just suggested, especially ProBlogger. Darren Rowse is a great source and doesn't get too technical with anything. Chris Garret doesn't seem to be writing as much as he used to, but still a good source. I'd also suggest CopyBlogger and grokdotcom.com.

For books I personally like those of Seth Godin. The guys at grokdotcom have also written some good ones.

The best thing to do is introduce your friend to a feed reader. Show him how to use it and how to add new feeds and then set him up with a few. From there let him build out as he sees fit. I don't think there's any one right approach to making money online. We're all different and we all have different skills and ways of learning. What works for me, may not work for you and what works for you may not work for me.

Also why not have him join a forum like this one. It'll give him more experience online in general and be a resource for getting questions asked. In the end learning how to build a business online comes down to spending the time learning how and implementing what you've learned.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

He has to get his hands dirty. All of the reading in the world won't help him if he doesn't understand some of the most basic principles of how things are done. If this is something he plans on doing all by himself, he needs to get his whole body dirty and soon. The faster he dives in, the better. Learning from scratch to making your first sale, to success is a long winding road with a lot of conflicting street signs.

I reiterate, a forum should be his first and most frequent stop, especially for the first year or so.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Definitely agree that having something he can work with online is a must. Even if it's just a vanity site, simply so he can play with concepts and try things out.

Also, he needs to find someone that he can run concepts by that is trustworthy and who will tell him which ones are crap and which ones could work. There's a lot of junk out there and it is helpful to have someone who is knowledgeable and trustworthy to help sort through everything.

Array

I learned a lot by reading Crush it! and Inbound Marketing. Still learning.....

Array

I would suggest that he starts with Google. Search the Google site - there is tons of information. Most of it will tell you want to do - but will tell you what not to do.

Array

My view is that your friend is wanting to learn more things than initially necessary. It probably will become confusing with all the information (some of it conflicting) overload.

Therefore, here's what I would do right out of the box. He can get fancy later.

1. Pay for someone to design a lead capture page or buy one online that's already done.
    2. Create some kind of free report in your market to trade for their contact information (he only needs name and email).
    3. Get an autoresponder service like AWeber. Write a series of autoresponder messages to go out once or twice a week. Make them 2/3 useful information with no selling and 1/3 of them marketing his product or a related one.
    4. Focus only on learning how to drive traffic to this lead capture page and build a list.

That gets him in the game. He will discover what else he needs to learn just as a by-product of getting started and moving forward with something basic and simple.
    Bob Cavanaugh
    The Internet Lead Generation Academy
    free video showcasing one lead-generation technique

Bob, welcome to the forum BTW. My friend didn't want to put in the work and joined a MLM selling .ws domains. Didn't really surprise me as he always has been looking for the easy way out.

In any case, to further your approach, he is involved in setting up a distribution center for Jamaican food products as well. That is something he knows how to do as he has managed regional businesses in the Caribbean and is from Jamaica mon. So he has access to products that aren't that easily available in the US. They could be wholesale or retail products.

I can see the benefit of your approach of building a list for wholesale sales. But, to do this online for retail, what is your approach for using your list to sell to the consumer. An opt in list for emails, for example, seems very ineffective as opposed to a shopping cart solution which is the direction I was suggesting in the first place. A well done shopping cart can do your list building, but direct email marketing seems like a hard way to go at a consumer and even at a wholesale or b2b level.

So, what is your approach?

Array

Quote Originally Posted by billbenson View Post
    I would like to get him some web marketing 101 resources. Just the basics though. Anybody have any recommendations?
    Have him go look at Ken McCarthy's Smart Beginner Course. The basics haven't changed.
    Bob Cavanaugh

Array

Quote Originally Posted by billbenson View Post
    I can see the benefit of your approach of building a list for wholesale sales. But, to do this online for retail, what is your approach for using your list to sell to the consumer. An opt in list for emails, for example, seems very ineffective as opposed to a shopping cart solution which is the direction I was suggesting in the first place. A well done shopping cart can do your list building, but direct email marketing seems like a hard way to go at a consumer and even at a wholesale or b2b level.

So, what is your approach?
    Well, personally, I would do both.

Every business needs to build a list. B2B or B2C, it doesn't matter.

However, it's not "direct email marketing" in the sense of buying a list and blasting out spam. The opt-in process trades their contact information for something they deem valuable. From there, the follow up autoresponder series provides further education about the market/products and builds up trust and credibility over time. Marketing messages are interspersed, but those on the list are not hammered.

Relying on folks coming to a "store" or "shopping cart" can miss a lot of potential customers. Most will visit, not buy and never return.
    Bob Cavanaugh

Array

My Recommendation would be when setting up your site don't forget about your search engine marketing. This is something that you should be thinking about from the very beginning. This way your site will be designed to drive quality traffic to your business - those who are looking to buy and not just looking. If you want people to find your business online - you really have to prefect your online marketing efforts as soon as possible. Good Luck!