Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In Honor of The First Day Of School...

Refugee from the .com
    Array

OK, it's midnight EST and most of the people in this thread are online right now.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Well, I think I'm going to call it an early night. 12:30 and I think I'll watch the tube for a few and hit the sack. I got up early today though - 9am.

Array

I had jobs that have required both ends of the scale, the first job i had i needed to be up at 5AM, (which was actually 2 hours earlier then i had needed to be up for high school). Now i am in a job that i dont start work until 6-6.30pm, and work through till 3 or 4 am most days. Inevitably this tends ot flow over to the weekend no matter how much i try and sleep earlier and be up earlier.

I have found it easy enough to work with both scenario's once i get into the routine, however i think that i personally tend to prefer afternoon to night then being up early in the morning. I think that the biggest thing with working like this is that you need to maintain the same pattern 7 days a week, maybe you can let a day drop if you need to stay out late one night, however you need to get back to the pattern straight away or it becomes to easy to say it is to difficult.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Refugee from the .com
    Array

This thread has also served to make another issue more obvious, although from my discussions with vangogh, it's something a little deeper in the vB software. We are about 20+ minutes off on the clock, but it's one of those back burner issues to fix. We are aware of it though because I noticed it early on with the forum, but there are other things to work on. Vangogh has done an awesome job of fixing known issues. Most recently, you might have noticed the rep points now show numbers, which is more meaningful than just the squares.

Anyway, now it's time fo rme to sign out at almost 2 am, even though it will show 1:35ish or the equivilent for your time zone.
    Steve Chittenden

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

It's just coming up on 12:30 for me. When I was in high school I was usually up long past 12:30 so I'm just acting normal.

The clock issue is with the server, not the vB software. Server stuff will take me a little more time to figure out and get to, but I'll eventually find the time to get the clock set. It's annoying, but I figure it's not the most important thing.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Refugee from the .com
    Array

I agree it's not a priority issue even though there is some annoyance to it. It especially shows up when we talk about the time like this and the time stamp doesn't match.
    Steve Chittenden

Array

Steve, i thought the time thing just didn't match because i was in a different time zone, i was not even thinking in regards to the clock not matching in the respect you have brought up now.

Hmm, i was going to mention something about an actual time at the bottom of the page, however i just looked and there actually is one there, i was sure i had previously looked and not found one, but maybe i was not looking hard enough. It is actually off by about 25 minutes for me. Doesnt bother me a lot though, because mostly i am replying to a post and i can look at time relative to my reply.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

You should be able to set your time zone in your control panel. For me the time shows GMT -6, since I'm 6 hours behind Greenwich. The clock on the server is off though by about 24 minutes I think.

It's showing 11:19, while my computer is telling me it's 11:43
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

For those interested, I had a time problem on emails. From what I figured out, the email time stamp is generally set by the senders ISP which could be a wrong time. There may be ways to override this though. Dunno? It seemed that sometimes the senders time stamp was set by the senders Outlook (or whatever email program). It also appeared that this may or may not be overwritten by the ISP time stamp. And if it sits in the ISP's queue for an hour??

Refugee from the .com
    Array

I'm thinking if it's the server that has the wrong time, then it's not something we are likely to be able to adjust. That will likely require an admin from the hosting co.
    Steve Chittenden