Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Financial Records

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I don't recommend the following, but it's a story that was shared by a friend about another friend.

This person would keep everything in boxes, which he dated. Every time he opened a box he'd cross out the old date and replaced it with the current date. It was a way to always know the last time he'd looked in the box.

Any time he came across a box that he hadn't opened in a year he threw it out without looking at it's contents. I guess he figured if a year went by without him needing anything in it he could do without it forever.

Very bad for record keeping. Very good for living in the moment.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

That is probably not the worst record keeping system -- but probably isn't long enough in many cases.

It'd probably be resourceful for common things, such as your own personal accounts. I wouldn't do it with corporate records.
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I think it was really more about the usual stuff we collect in life and less about record keeping. The person in question was I think an artist and not likely a business person of any kind.

I'd still open the box before throwing it out.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

For memories? :-P
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I wouldn't want to take a chance on throwing out something I wanted to keep. Years ago while going through a box I came across the title of a car I owned. Without looking I made the assumption it was for a car that had previously died on me and I just tore it up and threw it out. Turns out it was my current title at the time and I didn't realize until a few months later when I went to sell it.

It wasn't a big deal, but still annoying. I think it would be easy to throw things out that were important.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

It definitely would be easy to throw out things that are important. I have a filing system and I always start out with neatly labeled files. Then things pile up and I just put them near the filing cabinet until I have time to file. If I just swooped up the pile because I hadn't touched it in a while and threw it away, I could throw out stuff I really needed.

Array

I think the standard requirement in Australia is 7 years, however the point that you make Evan is a very valid one i think, that for depreciation you should look at keeping the records for that period after you have disposed of the asset.

I really started to look at what i was actually keeping more so because of the volume of paperwork that i had from both business and work in just 8 years. i sort of realized some things just are not required, like payslips, once you have the final group certificate, which is a summary of the payslips for the year.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels