Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's in a Good Press Release?

Array

Oh I don't know depending on the situation. hiring a new janitor could be newsworthy.

IE.. XYZ Pro Clean hires Tim Smith as 100th Janitor thus making Xyz the largest Janitorial service in the region.

or

Beloved "Dead President" High School Janitor Joe Floorbuffer, hired by XYZ Industries as part of the outsourcing of Janitorial services from the school board. Students Cheer as their favorite school staff member is allowed to finish his career at the school he's spent his life cleaning.
    The Ad-Vice Man - Expert Advertising Advice
    www.harborpilotmedia.com,
    www.freeadvertisingadvice.org

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

There are always going to be situations when almost anything can be made newsworthy. The examples you gave, Ad-Vice Man, aptly illustrate some of those types of situations.

I do, however, think there is a difference between pointing out something that is truly a news or human interest story, and just putting out a release because it's Wednesday and you want to see your name in print.

Useful press releases will be in the former category.

Array

i agree with you i was just feeling contrary and felt like doing some creative writing.
    The Ad-Vice Man - Expert Advertising Advice
    www.harborpilotmedia.com,
    www.freeadvertisingadvice.org

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Well, that was creative, Ad-Vice Man. It actually reminded me of a real life situation, though I imagine the janitor from my school probably retired in normal fashion. These days, your scenario could be real.

I went to a country elementary school of probably around 250 or so kids, K-6. We had a janitor there who everyone loved. To the entire school, he was "Uncle Bob." That was a different era though, seeing my elementary school years were 1966-72.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt