Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Updating Your Blog

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

For awhile I had gotten into a good rhythm and was posting on schedule week after week. The first day I skipped a post was really hard. There was this feeling of dooming the whole blog by missing a single day. Obviously that's a silly feeling since no blog will lose all its readers for missing a post, but that feeling is there.

After skipping it once and realizing the sky didn't fall it was very liberating and made me see how quality was so much more important than maintaining a schedule.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Just seeing this post now, and taking a look at my two blogs i realized it has been close to 2 weeks since i posted on both of them. I had not even realized the gap. In saying that though for both of them this is to date the highest traffic month for them. so posting and visitors does not always equal.

I think for me it comes down to how easily the writing flows. I had probably about 2 to 3 months where i could sit down come up with a topic and write 400-500 words sometimes even 1000, no problem. However, while i have done that once or twice in the last month, i have been having much more trouble, where i just end up writing a line or two on a topic that i thought i had some interest in and then just staring at the screen thinking now i am sure i was thinking i could write more then this.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

The flow and ebb in writing and ideas hits most bloggers I think. I know it's happened to me. I've gone a few months where it feels like ideas are everywhere and the words come as soon as I sit down. Then there might be a month where I can't think of a thing to say.

I'm getting better at still writing some pretty good posts during those times when the words aren't flowing, but I tend to post a little less frequently during those times.

How long it's ok to skip posts is something that really depends on the blog and the audience. Obviously a news site needs to be updated regularly, but beyond that it more how long your readers will stick with you during the times you don't post.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals