Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Collateral Material

Array

Kristine more so the amazing thing for me is that especially from a distributor point of view providing easily customizable marketing pieces (even professionally printing them, at a minimal cost for resellers) can i think increase the business or the perceived value from the distributor to the reseller massively.

For example, that supplier that offers those customizable marketing material's any brand they distribute, they are often the first place i will look. Because if a customer asks for one of there products i know i can go and quickly print off something that is customized and looks professional. (it kind of helps i have a good quality laser printer on hand or even put it to PDF and email it). It helps you look a lot more professional that you can so quickly put together something and email it with your name and the specific products with details they have asked about.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Array

Quote Originally Posted by KristineS View Post
    It does amaze the that some companies don't have easily customizable pieces for distributors. That type of stuff is so valuable and such a great way to get your company name and information in front of more eyes.
    Kristine, there are only 2 kinds of companies: those who do and those who will. Some take longer to learn than others. The rest will die out.

Paul

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orion_joel View Post
    Kristine more so the amazing thing for me is that especially from a distributor point of view providing easily customizable marketing pieces (even professionally printing them, at a minimal cost for resellers) can i think increase the business or the perceived value from the distributor to the reseller massively.
    You're definitely right about that Joel. It's a proven fact that well done marketing materials can help sell products and companies.

These types of materials also give the manufacturing company control over how their products are being presented by distributors. I'm shocked by some companies who will spend so much money to publicize and brand a product, and then completely drop the ball when it comes to helping distributors promote it.

Array

Even worse i think is after spending so much money marketing the product they make so little information easily accessible to the distributors. There are seriously some products that i could sell so easily if i could answer a couple of questions quickly. But sometimes it can take days and multiple emails to multiple different people to try and get a simple yes or no on a feature in a product.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Bureaucracy is a wonderful thing.

A lot of companies do manage to get in their own way when it comes to helping distributors. It's almost like they try to put obstacles in the way of a distributor making a sale. I don't think they do it intentionally, but it seems to happen a lot.

Array

I think that a great deal of this comes back to the same topic as some of the other threads we have had recently about large companies. Many Wholesalers tend to be large companies (not all but many are) and even more so in the wholesale market margins are tighter and they just do not have any idea that if they helped out distributors more they would turnover more and make more profit.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I think they tend to go one of two ways. Either they have draconian rules about absolutely everything and distributors have no say, or they don't regulate anything or help the distributors at all.

Either way they're not getting the full potential out of the relationship.

Array

It is just really to bad the barrier to entry to the wholesale market is so great. As i think that in many markets there would be a major opening for a distributor that put a lot into providing their distributor's with that bit extra.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I'm guessing you're right Joel, but that probably won't happen in most industries. One of the major barriers would be keeping your distributors supplied with product. You have to have an infrastructure in place to make that happen. If you don't, then your distributors are left short of product and can't fill orders which causes a very bad chain reaction.

We're experiencing that now with one of our wholesalers and it's very annoying. There are enough obstacles to making a sale already without adding lack of product to the mix.

Array

Lack of ability to maintain the supply of goods to your distributors can really come from two sources.

The first is financial, which is the wholesaler needs the funds available to maintain the volume of business done on account both with their suppliers and their distributors. I cannot understand how some of the wholesalers that i do business with can manage to give their clients 30 day from end of month accounts (could be up to 61 days from the goods leaving their doors) and being able to fund the purchases to maintain decent level's of stock. For larger companies they should be able to structure some sort of finance agreement, however for smaller wholesaler's i do not see it as a viable business structure. Although for the most part many seem to be surviving on it.

The second problem is not always with their control and that is supply from their suppliers. Especially for manufacturers the raw material supply can often be far from regular. I have had some orders with suppliers take over 2 months to deliver because the company that manufactured the item, had under estimated demand for one very small part and as such come up short and put their whole production line behind.

Weather it is within their control or not, i think that there could be big money in the wholesale area that could provide at better levels then is now. Some of it may even be in the way of need to do things different to how they are being done in that market now. As it stands the wholesalers have pretty much were the source that started downfall of profit margins in the IT industry by pretty much opening their doors to anyone that had visions of going into business.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels