Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Should a website be constantly updated?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Yep. You don't want to update just for the sake of updating. When it comes to changing your site you should be doing so based on what's working and what's not working and seek to make improvements overall. When it comes to adding new content it should come from a strategy for growing your business and not just to add some new content.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

For dentists and doctors or decorators for that matter, you should also think about what will add value for the customer. I'll give you an example.

My doctor has a web site. It had a function that allowed me to order prescription refills online, which I loved since calling the office is usually kind of a pain. Other than that I never went to the site. Recently they added a function with a login which allows me to see articles and tips about health based on my particular needs and also get test results and other things without having to wait for a call from the office. It's useful information and I visit the site more because there's more there that is specific to me and which will help me get healthier.

Updates that give your customers more useful information are always helpful.

When blogging, or keeping any content site (forum for instance) constant updates ARE THE KEY. if you cannot post daily, get a more lax schedule and stick to it. By posting more frequently I was able to get my blog from 4 visits a day to more than 200 in weeks
    SEO Audit - find out exactly why your website is not ranking in Google.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I'd add that quality is still more important than quantity. I think posting more makes sense as long as it doesn't reduce the overall quality of any single piece of new content. I'll use this forum as an example. I could easily let every spammer post away to their heart's content. We'd have a lot more threads and posts here, but would the forum be any more valuable? It probably would attract more visitors since there would be more content here, but would it really matter?

I think you should always strive first to create quality and then you can strive to create more of that quality. I wouldn't though reduce the quality of your content just to have more content.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

I don't post junk and have never advised anyone to do so. You keep a blog if you've got something to say. If not, there's a lot of SEO jobs

So, I agree with you. Content is super-important indeed.
    SEO Audit - find out exactly why your website is not ranking in Google.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Oh yeah. I hope I didn't come off implying you were suggesting we just post more junk. If I did, my bad. Just wanted to point out the quality side since I know a lot of people might read and think they just have to post more without thinking about whether or not what they're posting is worth reading.

Array

Here's my take on your question Spider.
    One short answer is--It all depends on your goals. Keep this in mind too--"There's a tremendous amount of hype out there in IT world regarding what's right, best, etc, so be weary of what you accept as credible information. The Internet really isn't that complicated. Sure there's a learning curve but no need for a Information Technology or Marketing degree to be successful with the Internet.

Here's your answer in a nutshell... If it ain't broke, don't fix it...