Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help finding clients

Default Help finding clients

Hello'
    i recently started my own dog walking/pet sitting business. However i still don't have one client. I have posted flyers and business cards and have several ads on major sites such as: pennysaver, eBay, Craigslist, I've even networked with people. I don't understand what Im doing wrong. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions i would greatly appreciate them.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Hi Nina. Welcome to the forum. I moved your post to a new thread so we could devote answers to your specific questions.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing the pennysaver and ebay and craigslist. If you want to share the details of the ads we might be able to help you improve them. Where are you placing the flyers? If possible pet stores and similar might be good places.

Finding your first few clients is usually the hardest part. A friend of mine used to do pet sitting. Her first client was simply through a friend. Put the word out to everyone you know that you've started a pet sitting/walking business. Among your circle of friends and family I'm sure there are people who own pets and sooner or later one of them will need your services. It sounds like you've already done that.

Do you have a website? My friend used to direct all her marketing to the website where should could offer more details about herself and her services. In time she added a portfolio of the pets she sat for. It also wasn't too hard to get her site ranking decently in search engines for some specific phrases. If you have a site we can help you with that.

Everything you're doing so far is good. Sometimes it comes down to time. I'm not sure how long you've been at this, but like I said those first few clients are the hardest to find. Once you've sat for or walked a few pets word of mouth does start to spread.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I would try to identify what other businesses potential customers might patronize--such as vets--and try to partner with those businesses. They might let you put out business cards or fliers.

Array

You should be a networking machine in a business like this - especially in the beginning.

30% of the world has a dog. It's probably over 50% that has either a dog or a cat. BUT, pretty much 100% of people have a dog or cat OR know someone that does. So, you need to be telling everyone you can that you have a pet sitting business.

With that said, you're asking people to let you in their homes when they are not around. This requires that they trust you - so I would expect your current friends and family will be your best source of clients in the beginning. After that, word of mouth will help spread the group of people who learn about you from a trusted source.
    Steve B

Array

what type of customers do you want? thats your first decision!...do you want average people, poor people or rich customers with alot of extra income?

you need to know who your customer is...its not just anyone....you need to specifically choose your customer base....then decide how to meet the customers and introduce yourself..

if your looking for low end customer then craigs list is great
    if your looking for high end customers you may want to advertise in places where high end dog owners go or look..maybe a booth at dog shows?

it costs money to advertise...free advertising will get you what you paid for it(not much)...the phone book is a good place to start(even though its been worthless for me)

make friends with dog groomers, dog breeders, dog associations, dog fence installers, etc

your new 'friends' will hand out your cards and find you business and in return you will hand out their cards and find them business..95%+ of my calls are previous customers and referrals from someone... brand new calls out of the phone book/internet are rare. i get mostly price shoppers from the phone book and turn 3-5 of them into customers a month....

what is your unique idea which makes your business different from your competition? why should i give my dog to you instead of your competitor?

low price isnt a unique idea

Array

id recommend joining a BNI group in your area if you need to learn and understand how to network...it has been a great learning experience for me...

Thanks so much for the valuable information. I will utilize all the advice I have gotten. I think I offer a valuable service like detailed daily reports (via e-mail) to my clients I would pet sit. Mail/newspaper retrieval, fish care, watering plants, light housekeeping. I also offer free consultation to all new customers to get to know them and their pets before any services are rendered.

Array

who is your customer?

are you going to be a large- low price for the masses?

are you going to be a small high end- catering to the rich?

not sure yet?

Hi

I would think people who work a lot would be candidates for your biz. Do you have any larger businesses in your area that you could supply with fliers for the employee break room? A flier showing a cartoon pic of Fido trying to "hold it," while Mom or Dad takes their sweet time getting home, would be an effective picture.

Also, people who travel a lot would be candidates.

Love the vet idea. Do you have pet stores in your town? Another great place. The website is a must-do, because you can link to it from Craigslist.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

That's a good idea. You could even end up being the person for dog walking for an entire business. Working people are your customers after all.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals