Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone here written an E-Book to market thier services?

Array

im not sure what you mean by monitoring or how you could do it...but i would definitely like the information.... you could make a lot smarter buying decisions if you knew all that..... ...but i dont see how, in a big general situiuation....like how was business in the last quarter, when so many things are happening at once......
    i go a lot by customer feedback...i hear about facebook all the time so i know the customers are involved with us and its working...and free!!! and ive heard about the tv some too....but in general i believe in long term ads and all that...
    it woiuld be easy if you were just advertizing one thng in one place.... but thats not our situation...
    Last edited by greenoak; 08-17-2010 at 08:49 PM.
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Array

Feedback is one form of measurement, but it is unreliable. Okay for general trends, but not neccesarily the best form of measurement to use to guide things. I've read more than one story of business owners who got told their campaign/store/promotion etc was seen or heard somewhere the owner hadn't advertised...

And I don't know of any successful business that only advertises in one medium or one particular way, but there are tons of ways to differentiate a bit between each element of the campaign so you can do some tracking. None of it is scientific or completely accurate...not for most small businesses...but it can give better guidance than guesses. Customer Reward programs are the best way to really track what your best prospects and customers are up to though.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Ann one thing you can do to measure, track, monitor (whatever word you want to use) the success of your advertising is to add something unique to each. If you were directing people to your website it's easy. You mention a different url in each so

Your tv commercial says to visit greenoaksantiques.com/page1
    Your newspaper ad says to visit greenoaksantiques.com/page2
    Your radio spot says to visit greenoaksantiques.com/page3
    etc.

If you're using an analytics package like Google Analytics you can see which url is getting visited the most.

You can do something similar with people coming into the store. Set up a coupon that's slightly different with each ad. The newspaper ad could have an actual coupon. The tv and radio ads could say to mention some word for a unique offer. Then you count which "coupon" did the best. This kind of method isn't perfect, but it does start to tell you which ad is sending more people into the store or at least which is getting more people to say the secret word or hand in a coupon.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

my c ustomers have never reacted to coupons ....ive tried them a few times... .i never use them myself...do you?
    ...i do check my statcounter for the area viewers come from....

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

It doesn't have to be coupons. The idea is to have something unique on each ad so you can tell one from the other. Tell people on a commercial to say a certain word for a free gift or some percent off their order or anything you want. When people say the magic word you know the commercial worked. You do the same with other places you advertise and see which is having the biggest impact.

How have you tired coupons in the past? If no one reacted to them it could have been a sign of lots of things. Not necessarily an indication your customers don't respond to coupons.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

good ideas vg...thanks ... if we continue with the tv i might try the secret word thing..that sounds kind of easy....we got a super deal on the current run...200 ads thru august....and they are on good times... but i dont think that package is offered very often....

most of our customers come when they can...usually being from out of town.so maybe thats why coupons have fallen flat for us....
    ..,..actually i dont care for them at all... and kind of resent when some coupon clipper gets a better deal than i would get....
    i wish there were more facebookers on here...i think thats probably my best marketing right now.and im a real novice.......i posted about candles 2 days ago and have heard several comments about it in the store...

Array

You may be trying to overcomplicate things. Being on FaceBook is not about being a perfect marketer, it's about interacting with your target market. Why not ask them for pictures of your stuff in their houses? Easy enough to turn pics into a video and have more content for FB and other social media links...your customers don't care that you are a novice at this FB stuff...most of them are too...especially with the demographic i think you would most appeal to. They are on FB because they are less techy (in many cases) than you...if they were more techie you would find them on older platforms like email groups and forums...Ask the people who comment in store what they'd like to see you feature...and then do it and then feature the customer (or customers) who recommended it...they'll share that with family and friends for sure :-)

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Patrysha the picture idea is a great one. Perfect for getting Ann's customers to interact more with her and the store in general. Turning them into a video is a great idea too. Another thought is to ask others to vote for their favorite and then display that picture prominently on Facebook, Ann's site and blog, and also in the store. The in-store picture could have a caption saying "as voted on by our Facebook fans" along with the URL for the Facebook Fan Page. The Facebook pages later shows a picture of the picture hanging in store.

Run something like that every month and you have a wall of winners in the store all showing pictures of things they bought in your store. Customers get to see how wonderful your furniture looks in people's homes. It's social proof that people are buying and enjoying your furniture, and it also helps people imagine your furniture in their homes.

Array

thats a good idea...vg..and patrysha./.and really using more pictures fits my hope of good content.....we ask for the pictures already.... and use them on the pin up page on our website.... we could do more on that for sure...i think the facebookkers would like a video..or at least their own album....
    patrysha, i think you are misreading the facebookkers ...its part of their day..and they are letting me be part of it.... ..its way easier and so different than a forum or emailing.... my target girls are way tekkier than me, just by their age...i grew up with off and on on my electronics..theyve been on computer since school... ....... most have the income and of the age to use all kinds of stuff i cant...like iphones...they love aps whatever that is..ha ha..some have pink ipads... . and many drive big expensive cars...they are the computer generation compared to me...yesterday a 4 yr old was talking to his dad in video on a phone in his stroller....they like my store and ideas maybe but wouldnt really go to a forum for them..imho...facebook is perfect for them...fast and low comitment..
    i totally consider getting 800 followers on there as very good marketing.....im pretty sure lots of business people out there in retail are paying so called marketing experts trying to get to that kind of number for their stores.... if i see a store with numbers up there i really try and study thier methods........ im so thankful for it....and wish i knew how we did it.....i get to talk to 800 people who like our store whenever i want....im not national...these 800 are mostly actual customers... its bringing in money and lots of buzz....and its women who can get here easily...im still doing all the other marketing...but i want to learn facebook as well and as fast as i can...imho its the main thing out there right now....one woman even said , i dont need to be on your email, im on your facebook....
    thanks patrysha...youve added another thing to my to do llist...work on customer pictures more....its all about vanity isnt it!!!!

Array

Yeah, I could be misreading...or it could be a difference in how we percieve techie and our age difference and the differences in our target markets. There are people who have done well with FB but the rules and standards are changing all the time and it's not stable enough to say do x or do y and this will result...but the heart of it all is delivering what the customers are looking for. Most of the resources I've come across for FB have been geared towards online marketers and not so much towards small locally geared business.