Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone here written an E-Book to market thier services?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Probably the same level of support then. Amazon seems to generally be a good company when it comes to supporting their products and services.

The only complaint I have with Amazon is they kicked me out of their affiliate program, because I chose to live in the wrong state. Colorado recently decided to push the sales tax thing on affiliate sales so Amazon pulled out of Colorado by kicking anyone who lives here out of their affiliate program. I think Colorado was wrong in their decision and I think Amazon is overreacting. In the end it's only people like me that really get hurt since we lose a viable way to make some money. My account was actually closed a couple days before I was going to add a page to my site listing all the design and development books I recommend.

I still like Amazon and think they're a great company, but a part of me wants to keep from using any of their services over the whole thing. Kind of a silent protest I guess. Not that I expect it to have any effect, but if I'm not good enough for them…
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    Rich, have you used CreateSpace before? I'm curious how they compare to some of the other print on demand services. I've actually decided to start putting together an ebook. Something I've been wanting to do for awhile now. I haven't decided if I'll go the hardcopy route, but I may, and for $10 it's certainly worth seeing how the proof looks.

As an aside I used to work for a company that owned the patent on print on demand. This was back in 2000 when the bubble was still big and growing. When things started going downhill it was one of the first things the company ditched to make money. I thought it was the one thing the company owned that was actually worth something and selling it off was the worst thing they could do. Oh well.
    Yes I have used them before and the whole process is pretty smooth. It takes a couple of weeks from the time you submit your book until it goes live. They will send you a copy of your book as a proof (which is where the $10 or so comes in). If you like the finished product, you log in and approve it and in a couple of days it will be listed on Amazon.

One of my many projects on my "list to do" is to hire a ghost writer to write the book for me in my Niche. Since I really want to start marketing my service to larger clients, I would then bring a copy of my book to the first meeting with them as a gift. That should give me some instant credability with them since Im a "published author". Just got to start interviewing ghost writers on this one.

Rich

Array

Hey Rich...make sure you include me in the interview process :-)

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

The only complaint I have with Amazon is they kicked me out of their affiliate program, because I chose to live in the wrong state. Colorado recently decided to push the sales tax thing on affiliate sales so Amazon pulled out of Colorado by kicking anyone who lives here out of their affiliate program. I think Colorado was wrong in their decision and I think Amazon is overreacting. In the end it's only people like me that really get hurt since we lose a viable way to make some money. My account was actually closed a couple days before I was going to add a page to my site listing all the design and development books I recommend.
    Ouch, that sucks. I think I remember hearing that either N or S Carolina was facing the same thing.
    That has to be a huge blow to anyone in the business.
    How do they enforce it? By enforcing it on the companies that pay affiliate commissions?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info Rich.

Ouch, that sucks
    Yep. North Carolina was the first and I think Rhode Island was the second. Colorado was number three. The timing was so bad too. It all happened about a day or two before I was going to add a page to my site listing all the books I've read and recommend with links to Amazon. Now I'm less inclined to even buy anything from them.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

...It all happened about a day or two before I was going to add a page to my site listing all the books I've read and recommend with links to Amazon. Now I'm less inclined to even buy anything from them.
    Are you not penalizing Amazon (and yourself, more notedly) for a something your state government did?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I haven't stopped using Amazon, other than as an affiliate. I still buy from them same way I always have. All I'm saying is this makes me not want to.

It's not just the state. The state wants the sales tax on the books sold. Amazon claims it has no physical presence in the state and so doesn't need to collect sales tax. The state says that since affiliates are located in the state they do have a physical presence here. Many states meed money given the economy over the last couple of years and they're looking for ways to collect more revenue. I think the states are going about it the wrong way, but I also think Amazon is overreacting to the situation by pulling out and dropping affiliates.

Both are fighting with each other and the main victims are Amazon affiliates. I don't think that's fair and blame both the state and Amazon.

Getting back to me as a customer I only buy books from Amazon. I also like to buy books in the bookstore, mainly Barnes & Noble, despite the higher price in-store. Since this happened I've maintained my usual wishlist at Amazon and purchased books from them. I've also checked the books at the B&N site and found that in some cases the book cost less at B&N, even more so since I'm a member and get an extra discount.

I'll be doing the same thing with the Borders online store. Perhaps I'll end up buying different books at different sites.

No I don't think I'm penalizing myself for any of this and I do think Amazon is partially to blame for the situation so if they are being penalized it's from their own doing. As far as the state is concerned, not being able to sell affiliate products through Amazon means I earn less and so pay less income taxes to the state.

Array

Well, I'm surprised someone hasn't sued someone else for interference with interstate trade - a big no-no in the Constitution, I believe.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I don't think anything illegal is going on. The states have a right to try to collect sales tax and Amazon has the right to run their affiliate program as they see fit. What I think has been and will continue to happen is one state after another will do the same thing as North Carolina, Rhode Island(?), and Colorado have done. For now it's relatively small states in regards to population so Amazon can easily pull out of the state. In time enough small states or a few big ones might tip the scales. I think New York has thought about the issue, but hasn't done anything yet.

Amazon claims they make a very small % of their overall profits through affiliates. Hard to know. Amazon certainly has the brand now, but at the same time think of all the sites you encounter that post affiliate links to Amazon products. I bet a very large portion of links to books go through Amazon and through the affiliate program. You have to think the money they get through affiliates is significant enough to want to keep. Plus the sales tax should only count on sales within the one state. If that's the case then either Amazon's margins are razor thin or this is about something else.

The unfair part is that in the end it's people like me that suffer the most. Not that Amazon sales have ever made up any part of my income, but I've finally reached the point where the audience for my blog is large enough where I think it could. I'm not talking about a lot of money, maybe a couple hundred or so a month. Hardly a lot of money, but still a nice amount to help me reinvest in getting some other projects done.

Amazon has a very long page that goes into detail on sales taxes on customer purchases here. As you can see, it IS very complicated.