Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone here written an E-Book to market thier services?

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

We had an e-mail newsletter for a while, and that's how we did it. The newsletter had tips you couldn't get anywhere else, but it also referenced blog posts. The combination seemed to work well. I'm sure we had people who read the blog and didn't subscribe to the newsletter and people who read the newsletter and didn't subscribe to the blog, but those who did both didn't complain about the overlap.

Array

I recently discovered an interesting way to use e-books. The idea is being promoted by Harvey Segal through an affiliate program. He is offering a free e-book that explains the idea. I just started testing the idea yesterday, so it is too early to report any results.

I signed up for the affiliate program, so I will not post any links. But if you Google "Harvey Segal Ultimate Supertip" you will find plenty of sites that will lead you to the e-book.

I think that the basic idea--give away an e-book to promote your business--has merit. But it will certainly be easier to apply to some businesses than others.

Array

I have been thinking about an ebook - but, since I already know the information I would put out, I think others might know it too and no one will buy my ebook.

Some great points here - I get tons of newsletter every week but hardly read any of them. I think the only ones I really read are the ones that I don't get their blog.
    Business Junkie - A Business Products and Services Directory -

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Why would people necessarily know what you know. It's easy to think that, but the truth is your knowledge is unique to you. No one else has exactly the same experiences in life you have. I guarantee there are many things you know that others would be happy to learn.

It's an easy trap to fall into. We think that because something is easy for us it's not as valuable.

Some people will probably know the information you'd put into your book. Most probably won't. And all you need to do is find enough of the people who don't to make a good profit on the ebook.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    It's an easy trap to fall into. We think that because something is easy for us it's not as valuable.

Some people will probably know the information you'd put into your book. Most probably won't. And all you need to do is find enough of the people who don't to make a good profit on the ebook.
    I agree. In addition, we often need to hear something multiple times before it sinks it. Sometimes a unique way of putting a particular point or a certain example makes it click. We don't need to discover something new to write a good book--we need to say it in a way that resonates with the reader.

Brian Phillips

Array

I think the question is not if one should write an e-book or not. The question should be, who is going to buy the book and HOW you would get them to know about your book.
    I think everyone should write e-books about their products / services / things they know. Either to sell them or give away for free, in order to promote other services/products.

The biggest obstacle I faced was having many e-books and no way to promote them.

I eventually ended up having a 'university' link on my website, giving the information for free, in the hope that someday someone reading it will use my services. I can tell you this approach has worked wonders!

Amir

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by amir View Post
    I eventually ended up having a 'university' link on my website, giving the information for free, in the hope that someday someone reading it will use my services. I can tell you this approach has worked wonders!

Amir
    I've seen other businesses that have used this approach and had success as well. Educating people can be a really valuable sales tool, particularly if you sell a product or service that is kind of abstract.

Education is also a great way to get people to your website and have them go away with a positive feeling about your company. Even if they don't do business with you then, they will have a positive association with your business in their mind.

Array

Default Re: E-Book

One thing that you can do after you write an ebook is to get it published into a physical book that gets promoted on Amazon. It should build instant credability with your customers when they see that you are a published author.

Use CreateSpace as they will print the book on demand. The whole thing will cost you around $10 (to get the proof of your book) and the setup process is pretty painless.

Rich

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Rich, have you used CreateSpace before? I'm curious how they compare to some of the other print on demand services. I've actually decided to start putting together an ebook. Something I've been wanting to do for awhile now. I haven't decided if I'll go the hardcopy route, but I may, and for $10 it's certainly worth seeing how the proof looks.

As an aside I used to work for a company that owned the patent on print on demand. This was back in 2000 when the bubble was still big and growing. When things started going downhill it was one of the first things the company ditched to make money. I thought it was the one thing the company owned that was actually worth something and selling it off was the worst thing they could do. Oh well.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I published my book "Keep Your Eyes On The Prize" (paperback) through BookSurge, another Amazon company, that recently merged with CreateSpace, also an Amazon company. BookSurge were very helpful, and if that sort of help and service is carried through by CreateSpace, I can recommend them thoroughly.