Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am new here

Registered Member
    Array

Default I am new here

Good morning everyone. I have just joined this forum, and look forward to getting to know everyone.

We run a mailing house in London. We are currently promoting handwritten direct mail in the UK, before handwriting becomes a lost art.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to share a little more about yourself and your business.

Handwriting? I have a vague recollection of this thing called handwriting, but I can't quite place it. Ok, I admit. I still like writing with pen and paper. It's a different experience than banging away at the keyboard.

Looking forward to getting to know you and thanks for joining the community.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Registered Member
    Array

Default handwritten direct mail

Good morning vangogh

Thank you for your warm welcome.

Yes, it would be wonderful to see "handwritten" direct mail take off in the UK. It appears to be popular in America. There is something about a handwritten letter that compels you to read it. It is a good marketing tool for anyone, even if just used to draw the recipient to visit the sender's website.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Glad to provide the welcome.

It's true. You see a handwritten envelope in the mail and you're much more likely to open it even if you think it's junk. The handwritten element makes it seem personal and it's harder to resist.

I'm surprised it's not used that much in the UK. Is there a specific reason or is it simply something that hasn't caught on yet?
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Registered Member
    Array

Default handwritten direct mail

We purchase the custom handwriting fonts from a US supplier, as we could not find one here in the UK.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Isn't there some irony there? Purchasing a computer generated font for handwritten mail? Obviously it would be impossible to actually write all that mail by hand so I understand the need to purchase the font. I guess something in that strikes me as funny.

I still find it interesting that you have to come to the US for this. I'm surprised the UK hasn't adopted the practice more since it's been around here for quite some time. Then again that's good news for you since you have the opportunity to be an early leader.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Welcome aboard. I also find it ironic for a "handwritten" piece to be a special font. However, I was already aware of the technique. Since I have an eye for detail being an artist, the fake stuff stands out to me, and even has a negative effect because it's fake. But I can see how it works since most people wouldn't spot the difference. I've seen some that are very convincing and require a bit more scrutiny to determine it's not "real" handwriting.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Registered Member
    Array

Good morning, Steve

Thank you for your post. Handwritten direct mail has been used to great effect for fund-raising campaigns undertaken by charities.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum, hdm. London is one of the places I've always though would be a nice place to live. I'm an English history buff, so the UK is definitely on my list of places to visit.

Array

Welcome to the forum...interesting business :-)