Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Wordpress plug in thread

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

You can create multiple columns with css so my initial thought would be to structure the html so it could be turned into multiple columns with css. It would depend on the site whether or not the multi-columns were on one page or a section or the whole site.

The how would depend. The reason I would code it into the theme is this is really presentation stuff and I would think it would ultimately be less code and quicker page loading to design the theme this way instead of using a plugin.

Plugins are great, especially for non-developers, but some plugins are unnecessary. I've seen multi-file plugins to add something that could be done in a line or two of php directly in the theme. That's not a knock on the plugin. Just that if you know how to work with WordPress sometimes it's easier and preferred not to use a plugin.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    You can create multiple columns with css so my initial thought would be to structure the html so it could be turned into multiple columns with css. It would depend on the site whether or not the multi-columns were on one page or a section or the whole site.

The how would depend. The reason I would code it into the theme is this is really presentation stuff and I would think it would ultimately be less code and quicker page loading to design the theme this way instead of using a plugin....
    Well I agree with you on 90% of that. If you can do it by code, it's always much better, however, how do you apply that to a client that doesn't know CSS yet still wants the option on certain pages or posts and not others ?

Isn't it better to have the function coded in and called by tags than to code each individual place that you want columns?

I meant there's always going to be things that I do with my own sites, that a client couldn't do with theirs without help, or some things that I will do that I wouldn't even suggest to anyone that can't troubleshoot issues...but
    Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    Plugins are great, especially for non-developers, but some plugins are unnecessary. I've seen multi-file plugins to add something that could be done in a line or two of php directly in the theme. That's not a knock on the plugin. Just that if you know how to work with WordPress sometimes it's easier and preferred not to use a plugin.
    ...in the nature of this thread "Wordpress Plug ins", don't we have to think in terms of average users and not programmers ? Or else we would call this thread "Wordpress Developer Tricks".

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Absolutely. I agree with everything you're saying. I was just pointing out what I would do being a developer and then I was responding your posts after. I think plugins like this make a lot of sense for clients and any non-developer.

My bad if I was coming across like this wasn't a good plugin. I didn't mean to imply that at all.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I just get a little conscious at times that we start to loose people.

I do think that it would be great if it were already included in themes so that the end user could just apply the tags to create their columns at will.

I mean the execution is pretty simple:
    [column width="30%" padding="5%"]
    Column 1 content goes here.
    [/column]
    [column width="30%" padding="5%"]
    Column 2 content goes here.
    [/column]
    [column width="30%" padding="0"]
    Column 3 content goes here.
    [/column][end_columns]
    Wouldn't that be easy to make standard?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Good point. It can be easy for us to lose those who don't develop in WordPress daily. It should be something relatively easy to add to themes, but there probably hasn't been huge demand for it yet. At the moment the closest we come is all the magazine style themes, but even those don't really do multiple columns on a single post or page.