Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Updating Wordpress

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I've seen occasional problems and I would guess they relate to sites that are using plugins that stop working or who have hacked into the WordPress core. I've done both in the past, though was aware what I had changed so I was able to put my changes back. I'm sure there are some who had someone else work on their site and didn't realize a change had been made.

No reason you have to upgrade WordPress with each new version, though it is a good idea to see if any of the changes are specific security fixes. When that happens it's easy enough to grab the couple or three files that are security related and replace the old with the new.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I've used the plug in several times, Marcomguy, and I've never had any problem. Since I have a tendency to cause issues with my blogs, I'm going to go out on a limb and say if I can use it successfully it should work for everyone.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

You causing issues with your blog? I hadn't noticed.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Very funny, wise guy!

I'll have you know I just added the forum badge to both my blogs and I didn't blow anything up.

So there!

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I'm fine with it. I have yelled for you often enough when I screwed something up. You're allowed a little teasing on occasion.

Array

Worked like a charm for me... and I am a professed plugin junkie!

Array

I installed wordpress with Fantastico, was able to update with the link in Fantastico. It was pretty easy, but the only change i had was a theme, and that wasn't affected in anyway. The only time that i think you may run into a problem with the theme is if you are using the default theme that comes with wordpress and modified it. As some other scripts i have updated, do overwrite the primary theme, but usually if you are running with a theme that is not included with the default install you should be fine in that respect. Unless it calls anything that has changed in name or reference with the new version.

As for the plugin i think it would be fair to assume that generally a lot more people will comment about a bad experience then that of a good experience. Just like any customer based business, you get a lot more feedback about poor customer service then good.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels