Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Wants an iPad?

Array

You're probably right about most people. I was answering for me however. I spent $430 for the laptop (actually for my son). He'll be converting VHS tapes to DVD's and using spreadsheets - in addition to the other things a netbook or ipad could easily do.
    Steve B

Array

I'm looking forward to the launch of the iPad, and can easily see myself buying one.

For me, the reaction to the iPad is very similar to that of the iPhone. When it was first launched, everyone looked at the technical specs of it, myself included, and were very negative. It couldnt do 3G, MMS and had a poor camera. Then one day the boss brought one into the office, and I had a play with it. I bought one that afternoon. It is probably one of the only gadgets ive ever used that was actually FUN to use. I spent hours at first just flicking through menus!

Comments from friends around the time were predictable - everyone pointing out the technical flaws, and saying how their phone could do everything it could do, plus everything it couldnt. A quick demo of it and they were impressed. My old phone could play music, it could browse the net, and send/receive emails, yet I never did it because it was a pain to do each of these. With the iPhone it was so easy to do, I did it daily.

The launch of the iPad has been almost identical. Everyone has focused on the technical capabilities (or lack of). They have pointed out how the can already do everything it can do on their laptops or existing devices. I bet once they start doing it on an iPad they will find they will do things far more often, simply because it is so much easier to do.

When the iPhone launched everyone was critical of it. Where I currently work, of the 5 colleagues sat in the same area as me, 3 have bought iPhones in the last 5 months. Give it 2 years, and by iPad v3.0 I can easily see a similar ratio of people owning an iPad.
    Gavin Coates
    Freelance Programmer
    www.gavincoates.com

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

if they do it like the iPhone and give A.T.& T the exclusive on internet service...that will really piss me off.
    They kind of are and they aren't. They aren't limiting anyone to any specific carrier, but at the moment in the U.S. it's only going to be compatible with AT&T, because it uses GSM. In Europe you'd be able to use any carrier of choice, but while you're allowed to use any carrier here in the States, I think only AT&T's network will be compatible. That's probably why the no contract option is there.

You're probably right about most people. I was answering for me however
    I agree. I'm definitely not saying you have to run out and buy one. Just saying people are criticizing the device for not doing more when in truth most people are never going to do more anyway.

the reaction to the iPad is very similar to that of the iPhone.
    Yep. It's interesting isn't it. I think some people now pan Apple automatically. Anytime someone says anything good about an Apple product there will inevitably be others shouting fanboy as though you can't just like the product.

My last phone was a Palm Treo. When I bought it was a top of the line smart phone. It did music and the web and email, etc, but it wasn't easy to use and so I never really did any of those things. My iPhone makes those things easy and fun and they get used much more often.

I'm with you that the iPad is going to be another game changing device. I think once people can hold it in their hands and use it they're going to realize it's a lot more useful than they thought at first.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    They kind of are and they aren't. They aren't limiting anyone to any specific carrier, but at the moment in the U.S. it's only going to be compatible with AT&T, because it uses GSM. In Europe you'd be able to use any carrier of choice, but while you're allowed to use any carrier here in the States, I think only AT&T's network will be compatible. That's probably why the no contract option is there.
    See that really annoys me. The beauty of any device these days is having web access. A dedicated plan for access, is definitely less expensive than pay as you go.

I know that you can use an iPhone on t-Mobile's network..if you get it unlocked, but they don't "Support" the iPhone. Basically they w ill turn it on to run on their network, but there is no tech support for the device itself, and once you get it unlocked, you have just voided the warranty to get any kind of support from A.T.& T or Apple....none of that really matters to me since I am a Sprint customer....but some options would be nice. I think it is very limiting for Apple to spend all this money on research, development, and marketing and only offer one possible way to enjoy the device.

I hope they make this a little more convenient for people to buy and use with their existing networks, other than that, it's limited to my home network and I have enough devices at home and I don't see me getting another wireless account just to run the iPad away from home.

However, and I just thought of this last night. This would be a cool unit to run your Home Entertainment system, the way that you can use your iPod or iPhone as a remote control with Apple T.V., or if you have your computer hooked up to your T.V. and run iTunes through the home system.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 02-09-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I'm not crazy about the choice in AT&T either, though I think this is more the fault of other carriers choice in technology than it is in Apple's choice. The majority of the world uses GSM, with the exception of the U.S.

I wish that would change. It seems like we should all be connecting in the same way standardized way, but until the different companies agree it's not going to be the case.

One thing I don't care for with the AT&T connection is that you have to pay for another data plan, even if it is only monthly. I already pay AT&T to get a data plan for my iPhone. I don't think I should have to pay again for a data plan for an iPad. I would probably pay the extra money for the 3G capability for those just in case times, but I don't see myself purchasing a 2nd data plan. You should either be allowed to tether your iPhone to your iPad (and to your laptop for that matter) or your data plan should go with you. After all I don't pay for a new internet connection for every computer in the house.

This is more of an AT&T thing though than an Apple thing and yet another reason why people don't like AT&T.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    I'm not crazy about the choice in AT&T either, though I think this is more the fault of other carriers choice in technology than it is in Apple's choice. The majority of the world uses GSM, with the exception of the U.S.

I wish that would change. It seems like we should all be connecting in the same way standardized way, but until the different companies agree it's not going to be the case.

One thing I don't care for with the AT&T connection is that you have to pay for another data plan, even if it is only monthly. I already pay AT&T to get a data plan for my iPhone. I don't think I should have to pay again for a data plan for an iPad. I would probably pay the extra money for the 3G capability for those just in case times, but I don't see myself purchasing a 2nd data plan. You should either be allowed to tether your iPhone to your iPad (and to your laptop for that matter) or your data plan should go with you. After all I don't pay for a new internet connection for every computer in the house.

This is more of an AT&T thing though than an Apple thing and yet another reason why people don't like AT&T.
    Yes ! And here in lies the problem with all these new devices. I have 2 service plans with Sprint, unlimited for my Blackberry, and a friends and family thing that includes 2 other lines and my wireless modem (which will be expiring in a few months).

I should be able to tie all of my devices in to my unlimited plan if it's only a matter of adding an extra line for $10 ( which I can and will do as the other contract is up), however, Sprint's the only one that has a decent broadband network and gives you unlimited Text and Data on every plan...everyone else either has no unlimited plan (which can cost you heavily if you are an internet user away from home - A.T.&T and Verizon) or the network sucks and you still need to get an internet card from another source (T-Mobile).

None of them are 100% of everything.
    I'm no IT wiz, but I know making devices compatible with different networks pretty much takes a few keystrokes and a chip...so what's the problem?

The Blackberry is compatible on any network or band both in the U.S. and Internationally and you can't tell me that Apple can't do this too. They would sell an exponentially higher number of units if they made them truly available for everyone to use.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 02-09-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I guess I'm not quite as tech geek as the rest of you.

I'm not even remotely interested in this. Haven't really paid much attention to the buzz, expect for people who joke that it sounds like a feminine hygiene product.

Of course, I was a late adopter when it came to laptops too, so it's probably no surprise that I'm not quite ready to jump on this bandwagon.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by eborg9 View Post
    I should be able to tie all of my devices in to my unlimited plan if it's only a matter of adding an extra line for $10 ( which I can and will do as the other contract is up), however, Sprint's the only one that has a decent broadband network and gives you unlimited Text and Data on every plan...everyone else either has no unlimited plan (which can cost you heavily if you are an internet user away from home - A.T.&T and Verizon) or the network sucks and you still need to get an internet card from another source (T-Mobile).
    You can "tether" using a blackberry, i.e connect it to your computer and gain internet access through the phones 3G connection. I was using this on Saturday, and it was working fantastically well, I was even able to stream YouTube videos seamlessly, which I was a little surpised by.

Although this will only be of use on recent Blackberrys, i.e the Bold series. Many other phones support this, my old Sony Ericsson K800i did, and I believe the iphone 3GS also does (but may cost extra to do?).

On certain packages you can also add a second SIM card, particularly business tariffs, which would then allow you to access the internet from a second device, while only paying for a single account.

The Blackberry is compatible on any network or band both in the U.S. and Internationally and you can't tell me that Apple can't do this too. They would sell an exponentially higher number of units if they made them truly available for everyone to use.
    I was under the impression that the iPad would support both connection technologies? Also, as mentioned the rest of the world all use GSM, it is only the US where some networks use another protocol. Adding support for this will bump up the cost of all devices, just to benefit a few US based customers. Besides, I think AT&T still have an exclusivity agreement with Apple, and as such Apple simply cannot sell the device on other US networks, even if it did support them.

However, and I just thought of this last night. This would be a cool unit to run your Home Entertainment system, the way that you can use your iPod or iPhone as a remote control with Apple T.V., or if you have your computer hooked up to your T.V. and run iTunes through the home system.
    You see, now you are starting to think of uses for it!

The iPad is quoted to have a 10 hour battery life, ideal for watching movies on a longhaul flight. Try doing that with a laptop, or squinting at the tiny screen of an iPod Touch/iPhone. How about reading newspapers? Sure you can do so on a laptop, but they are not easily available from a central location - with the iPad they will be, right there in iTunes. I would imagine you could also subscribe to one, similar to podcasts, and have them download automatically right to your device. You cant do that on a PC.

How about touch screen gaming - full size, not restricted to the tiny screen of a Touch. Watching your favourite TV program in bed, streaming via WIFI from a TV on Demand service?

The possibilities are endless, and exciting too! When the iPhone first came out, you couldnt install applications on to it, they were all web based. Apple never even considered the idea of Apps (infact they were dead against it). Now it is one of the biggest selling points! When the iPad launches you may well see some brand new uses for it that people havent even began to consider yet.

I am by no means an apple fan (infact after buying a Video iPod I swore I would never buy from them again) but I am pretty excited by the iPad, and think it is going to be the must have gadget, maybe not this year, but definately next year when v2.0 is released.
    Gavin Coates
    Freelance Programmer
    www.gavincoates.com

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
    You can "tether" using a blackberry, i.e connect it to your computer and gain internet access through the phones 3G connection. I was using this on Saturday, and it was working fantastically well, I was even able to stream YouTube videos seamlessly, which I was a little surpised by.

Although this will only be of use on recent Blackberrys, i.e the Bold series. Many other phones support this, my old Sony Ericsson K800i did, and I believe the iphone 3GS also does (but may cost extra to do?).
    Yeah, I saw that in my little booklet. I haven't tried it yet, since I still have the modem but I already have and use the Smart Connect software, I guess it's just a matter of configuring the device to it.
    That will be of great benefit as my other contract expires, I can then take one of the phone lines...add it to the Blackberry account for $10 and use the BB as a modem when needed.

That'll save me around $100 a month !

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
    I was under the impression that the iPad would support both connection technologies? Also, as mentioned the rest of the world all use GSM, it is only the US where some networks use another protocol. Adding support for this will bump up the cost of all devices, just to benefit a few US based customers. Besides, I think AT&T still have an exclusivity agreement with Apple, and as such Apple simply cannot sell the device on other US networks, even if it did support them.
    I hope that this is true. I don't care if Apple sells iPads in the Sprint store or not, but at least make it compatible with what I already have.

I'm not signing up with A.T.& T just for this device and they are silly if they really expect people to do that for their products..I think they got very lucky when the iPhone was such a hit that people actually did switch providers just to have the phone, but if you haven't switched by now, you aren't going to...quite frankly A.T.&T doesn't have the best plans for data and these are all data devices.

.if that's going to be the case, they should stop launching these products at Mac World and C.E.S. as if they are for everyone, and start launching them at the Cell Phone shows or A.T.& T conferences,

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KristineS
    I'm not even remotely interested in this.
    And yet here you are without a laptop temporarily and accessing the web on your phone. Obviously that works, but just imagine the experience on a larger screen.

Quote Originally Posted by eborg9
    I should be able to tie all of my devices in to my unlimited plan
    I'm thinking we need to tie these plans to each of us as individuals. You buy a plan and then can use that plan no matter what device you're using. Whether it's a user/pass login or a card we swap in and out of devices.

If I'm using bandwidth on one device then in all likelihood I'm not using it on another. It's not like it would mean we'd be using that much more bandwidth. A small fee to cover the extra device would be fair, since you could use both at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk
    I believe the iphone 3GS also does
    The iPhone is capable of being tethered, but AT&T is keeping that from becoming a reality at the moment. The iPad also seemed to lack the right connections to tether your phone to it, probably a concession to AT&T. That's something that really needs to change.

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk
    The iPad is quoted to have a 10 hour battery life, ideal for watching movies on a longhaul flight. Try doing that with a laptop, or squinting at the tiny screen of an iPod Touch/iPhone. How about reading newspapers?
    Yep. I may have mentioned it already in this thread, but I think of the scenario where it's a weekend morning and I'm enjoying breakfast on the deck. I want to read the paper or a magazine. My phone is too small for long term reading. I don't want to grab my laptop. I'm reaching for the iPad. I'm reaching for it while sitting on the couch or reading in bed.

Sure I can do those things on either the laptop or the phone, but the iPad is just a better fit.