Thread: Health Insurance

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Default Health Insurance

I still kick around the idea, every once in a while, of going out on my own and starting my own business. One of the reasons I haven't yet is health insurance. I have some health issues that need to be managed and I need to have insurance.

How do those of you who run your own business handle the health insurance issue?

Array

We applied for health insurance 6 different times. We got our applicaitons rejected several times for a variety of minor health issues. For instance, I got declined for having hay fever! So, if you have ANY kind of medical problem be prepared to either pay a LOT or perhaps being declined altogether. For some reason, on our sixth application we got approved for decent coverage at a relatively decent premium ($600 per month for a family of 5), but we have a huge deductible ($3,000). Luckily in KY, if you get declined by the private carriers you have the option of going into the state program for high risk individuals. The premium for the state program would have been $1,100 per month - and also a high deductible.

I know we would have a lot more people attempt having their own business if they could find affordable health care.
    Steve B

Array

The system of health coverage in the US is terrible. I am over 65, do not have medicare coverage and cannot find any reasonable private insurance plan. I am thus uninsured at a time of my life when I am likely to need it the most. And I am not an isolated case, by any means.