Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you question the business you are in?

Array

Default Do you question the business you are in?

Hi All,

Just something i thought might be an interesting discussion topic, after another post i just made.

Do you ever question if the business you are in is the right business for you? Or is it just a business you fell into and seems to work for you at the moment?

Look forward to hearing you point of views.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Array

I don't. I may add another aspect or two to it over the years, but, hopefully I'll be able to keep doing what I'm doing.
    Steve B

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I sometimes wonder if I might not be better off having my own business rather than working for someone else. I still weigh the pros and cons of that one. I like what I do, I just wonder if I could do it better if I had my own business.

Array

I think I question my self all the time. I guess that helps me too adapt the best possible way I can and think of ways too better myself and my business.

Some times maybe I might question what I do mor times then I should, partly because I'm a perfectionist in my work, and most of the time what I do isn't good enough. Even though most people would say different.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

I never question the business I'm in, but strangely enough, I did fall into it. I had a sign business several years ago, and when I got out of it, I really was not planning on going into business again. In 2001, I started school with the intention of improving my situation. I was even planning a career change as a network admin/manager (my major) because I was tired of the crap of being an "employee" in graphics trades. It required a lot of skill and knowledge, but didn't (and still doesn't IMO) have the pay that goes with the required skills.

Shortly after starting school, I lost the full time job I had. It wasn't a great loss, but I found after much searching and effort, I was getting nowhere with trying to get a new job. I was even overqualified for the ones in my field which only reinforced my belief that some of these "sign shops" are not really servicing their customers all that well.

Anyway, I came to the conclusion that I was spending a lot of time and effort trying to find a "job" and getting nothing in return for the efforts. I knew I could do better than that starting a business and trying to find clients instead. I started this company in March of 2002. That was the best decision I could have made, and I have never regretted it.

Even though I had this company, I still stayed in school until 2 years ago because I was able to put that education into immediate use to improve my business. I've found also that this is an excellent way to retain what you learn.

And the fact that I get to help other businesses succeed is especially rewarding.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

I questioned what I was doing about a year after I started doing website development at 13. That was one of the best things to happen to me. It led to my interest in management and accounting, both of which are my majors and what I'll spend (many) more years doing.
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."

Sure- I question it all the time. But I do well at it, and I'm not a very good employee. But when my employee's mess up, or billing and collections are poor- then yes, the WhaddamIdoin' question might take flight, along with a choice word or two....

If I had it to do over again, I'd be a postal employee. A high school friend out of college went to work for the postal service. Bought a house. No stress. He said he would have to park his truck and wait to deliver mail because it was so easy to get ahead of the schedule and the union employees didn't like it if you finished your route early. No pressure, and in todays world, it would provide ample time to build a business on the side with no pressure.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Not at all. I did ask the question with many things I did in the past, though I already knew the answer. With this business I don't question that I'm doing the right thing.

It took me awhile to figure out what I wanted to do, but I love what I'm doing now. I may at times question how to run the business. Should I offer a certain service? Am I charging the right price? But the overall business I don't question. I know I'm doing what I'm supposed to be be doing.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Wow, many great responses, I don't think that i really fully question the business i am. Beyond the point that why am i not making this work to the level it should be able to.

What i question more is why i cannot apply the dedication and giving that bit extra at work, to my business. I put in so much more effort, and tend to work so much harder at the job i have but then just cannot find the motivation to do the same in my own business, even though i know that if i did i could probably be making 5 to 10 times the money i am now, and still not be working as hard as i am now. that is really my biggest question why do i put myself doing something that i marginally like, making a normal wage, when i could be doing something that i pretty much enjoy making much more money for less effort??? Wish i knew the answer.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels