Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Number of forum

Array

I do not think that the number of forums is excessive just that it needs to be something monitored, and overtime if some forums are getting less posts, aybe should be merged with others to try and concentrate the discussion.

However, this is really something that over time may work out and give growth to better seperation of topics that could be borderline in one topic.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

That's how I was viewing it too. We didn't want to have too many forums at first, but we also didn't want to confine it to a few. I figured over a week or two we'd get a better feel for where people were posting and what areas could be absorbed by others.

I think Frederick was right about there being so many marketing forums. I think there is a difference between online and offline marketing and both deserve their own space, but it was a lot of different forums to start with. Moving a few around and turning some into subforums cleaned it up a bit.

In time and assuming we have enough people contributing here I can see where all the forums can be expanded into more topics.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I think that it can be a double edged sword. On one side, having to many forums can mean it takes longer to look busy and populated, while not having enough variety can mean some things can get mixed which may not always work together.

However i believe having to many and working them down over time is potentially better then adding more as needed, it saves the confusion when you may have a marketing forum, and then split it into a traditional marketing forum and internet marketing forum, where people will get confused about which one to post some questions in, as one or the other will contain the posts from before which will be mixed.

I cannot imagine it would be a major thing to merge two forums, where as splitting one into two or more could be a lot of work if you go about moving the posts to there respective forums, of course depending on what stage this happened and how may posts there are.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Array

I just click on 'new posts' and all the posts are automagically in one place. doesn't make any difference to me how many or how categories there are.

Array

I used to not like there being so many categories either - but now I do like degadar does and it's a moot point to me now.
    Steve B

Array

I have belonged too several communities over the past and the amount of topics doesn't bother me. I usually look through all of them and if I can contribute I will, if not it no biggy. Just my oppinion.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I do the same thing with the new posts too. After awhile I hardly even realize what the categories are and just respond to threads I subscribed to and based on the titles of new ones.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by orion_joel View Post
    I cannot imagine it would be a major thing to merge two forums, where as splitting one into two or more could be a lot of work if you go about moving the posts to there respective forums, of course depending on what stage this happened and how may posts there are.
    You're exactly right on that point, Joel. I also do like many others here, I check New Posts and the number of different categories has never bothered me. While we're trying to find the happiest balance for everyone here, all this feedback is very much appreciated.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Array

The problem I have with 'New Posts' is they disappear from the list once you have viewed them. Then, if you want to visit one of them again, you have to know which thread or which forum it was in, otherwise you will not find it.

I also go first to New Posts but I like to read all the posts I want to read first, then go back and answer the ones I want to answer - but I can't find them then, because they have disappeared. You have to go digging through the forum to find the ones you're looking for. The more forum, the more digging, and I usually leave before I have answered.

By far the most productive for all concerned is to activate the Top Ten Stats which includes Newest Members, Top Posters and Latest Posts as the first section. It is most productive because then you would have New Posts, Today's Posts and Latest Posts, all available and everyone could work SBF as they find most suitable.

If I have not been clear and you are interested in seeing this in operation, check this vB board - Success Forum and Motivation - SuccessVibe.com

Refugee from the .com
    Array

I think that is very helpful, thank you, Frederick. I don't want to sound too political just to say we will "take this under advisement," but actually will, and I appreciate specific examples like this. This is new territory for us, but we did know that the SBF needed to pay attention to what the members were saying, and all voices are being heard. As we already pointed out, it's easier to combine categories than to separate them later, so we are being careful, yet we are listening. When you include examples like this, that is extremely helpful, and I appreciate getting all opinions.

We're working out a lot of things right now, so little by little, we'll get there. And even when we think we're there, the feedback is still important. One reason we're all here is that the old SBF was not listening. None of us want to see that mistake repeated.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt