Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about using fonts in web design.

Array

Ive started using the method on my sites and it works great.

Ive got a question though, how do you know what are "legal" fonts to use? Which ones dont need fees or require licensing for websites?

I have started incorporating fonts, but the legality has always been an issue.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Hopefully the sites where you get the font from will show licensing with the font. Unfortunately if you don't see a license for a particular font it may mean you'd need to contact the author of that font directly to make sure.

Licensing more than anything is the issue now, though I suspect in time much of that issue will go away. Right now the type foundries are trying to essentially add DRM to the use of their fonts through systems like typekit. Given that DRM hasn't worked for any industry that has tried it I suspect the same will end up being true here.

Fir now just try to use fonts where there is a license that clearly allows you to use the font commercially.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals