Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Redesign for cbscreative

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Default Redesign for cbscreative

OK, it's launched. There is still some work to be done over time, but the facelift and implementation of my new logo is complete. For those famiiar with the old design, the layout is similar, but I've made some enhancements to the navigation structure and significantly changed the look.

I'm still thinking about adding in a thicker dark blue line that's thicker only above the content area, then thins out to what it is now. This would permit me to add the main pages (like Home, About, Contact, etc.) as text links over the thicker portion of the line. I think this would add a touch of user friendliness even though those links are available in other places on the page.

If you notice any problem areas, or things you could suggest, please let me know. I've tested on several different configurations and browsers, so I hope everything works correctly.

Constructive criticism is welcome too. If I can make it better, I call that a good thing.

I'd post a link, but it's the one in my signature below, so I don't think that's really needed.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I've been waiting for the new look ever since you mentioned it on the old forum. It looks good. It's still similar enough to connect it to the old design, but it's obviously been updated.

I like the colors, though I'm kind of partial to green and blue so I may just be biased.

One thing which might not really be important is when you're on the interior pages the link home may not be obvious to some. I know it's in the footer and I know the logo is a link home, but I wonder if a text link "Home" below the logo would be a good idea.

I really like how you integrated the testimonials into the pages. It's something I've been meaning to do.

I noticed that outside the home page the "Add this to Favorites" link doesn't seem to be working. I didn't check every page, but on the ones I did check it didn't seem to be an active link.

Nice job overall. I'm sure you're excited to have an updated look to the site.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Thanks for the heads up on the add to favorites link, I'll do some checking on that. I was thinking very similarly on the Home page link, which is one reason I wanted to partially thicken the dark blue line and add some text links for primary pages (like the Home page).
    Steve Chittenden

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Refugee from the .com
    Array

I went ahead and added the extra links at the top because I think it will improve the usability.
    Steve Chittenden

I like the look steve. I also usually try to stay out of site review posts. Anyway... I personally dislike dropdowns unless they are absolutely necessary. By placing the normal links in the blue bar at the top, the dropdowns are covered either by the top menu or the left menu. Seems unnecessary and they drop down and cover the links in the top blue nav bar.

I think it looks much more up-to-date than the old design. I like it.

I guess drop-downs and fly-outs are a matter of personal taste. Bill says he doesn't like them, but I think they are fine if they serve a useful purpose. I prefer to get where I am going as directly as possible and would prefer to navigate through a drop-down menu rather than go to an intermediate page that often has very little function other than to give me a more detailed menu.

In fact, that is the first thing I would change about my own law firm's site when I get back to it. The pages "Our Services" and "Our Attorneys" are really nothing more than a navigational tool.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Drop downs don't bother me either. I've seen them used well and I've seen them used poorly. I prefer not to rely on them as the sole means of navigation, which Steve isn't doing. They're an alternate way to get to where you want to go. Useful for the people who like using them and easy enough to ignore for those that don't.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Thanks, guys. I prefer drop downs for the same reason David mentioned, and prefer to make them optional like vangogh said for preferences such as bill's. I consider them a convenience, but the navigation definitely does not rely on them and they can be ignored.
    Steve Chittenden

Guess I got outvoted

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Oh, I don't know, bill, the election is not over yet.
    Steve Chittenden