Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Redesign for cbscreative

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Bill you could always try stuffing the ballot box.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I really like the color scheme you choose. You don't often see a sage green color used in web sites. It's unique and very soothing.

(I know that doesn't have anything to do with the menu issue, but drop downs or fly outs don't really bother me either.)

I'm being ganged up on here...

I kind of view them like flash or gif's. If it has a purpose great, but if not its a distraction.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Uh, oh. The site uses Flash too.

The Portfolio page has a slide show for a series of greeting card designs. I consider this to be one of the appropriate uses for Flash.

I tried to design so anyone who doesn't like drop downs can ignore them, while those who do can find them useful.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Seriously Steve, what are we going to do with you? Flash and a drop down menu. It's back to redesign school for you.

The greeting card Flash app is nice. One thing though, is it took me a few minutes to realize I needed to click once to be able to view the card of my choice. I missed it when it loaded and didn't realize I need to do a mouseover until I accidentally did.

Definitely an appropriate use of Flash though.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Refugee from the .com
    Array

That's excellent feedback, vangogh, I will have to think about how to make things more obvious.
    Steve Chittenden

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I think just switching that default text to what the mouseover is would do the trick.

Array

I was hoping you would update some of the portfolio to show some more recent work, you have had those examples on there for quite a while now.
    Ultimate in Exhibition and Displays
    l l www.tenji.com.au l l Find me on Facebook l l Follow me on Twitter l l

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Great point, lav, and yes, that is in the works, I just had a higher priority on the redesign itself. In fact, I have a good resource pool of other designers to work with, so I am in the process of including not just other work of my own (which I have to get permission to feature), but work by other designers to show the style differences. They have responded well to the idea of being featured, but the redesign was a higher priority.

The fact that you noticed just serves to reinforce my perception that a greater diversity of style needs to be shown. This won't happen immediately as there are some details yet to work out, I'm just responding on your point to advise that this change is in the works. Normally, I would not reveal that plan in advance, but your observation is very keen, so I'm being more transparent about things that are not yet complete than I usually would be. I prefer to keep things under wraps until I'm ready, but your comment addresses something I've already been working on, so stay tuned on that one.

You raised an excellent point. It was so good, you forced me to reveal some future plans. No harm done though, you actually reinforced what I already was thinking.
    Steve Chittenden

Array

it's a big improvement over the other site! I like it.
    ~Jenn
    Crazy Dog Creative: Graphic Design and Marketing