Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tumblr

Default Tumblr

What is your guys opinion about tumblr? Do you use it? I think its pretty cool, you can basically consolidate your tweets with your blogging in one platform. I have recently started using it pretty regularly.

(A link to my tumblr account is in my signature.)
    Twitter: ShredderClay Tumblr: Shredder-Clay Recycle with your Paper Shredder, let me give you a few pointers how... use them in crafts, in shipping, in your compost pile....

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I opened an account a couple of years ago, but never used it after a day or two. I don't remember why. After awhile you can only deal with so many social sites and I guess that was one that didn't do it for me. I might give it a second look, but for now I'm fine tweeting through Tweetie.

One of the things I've discovered about social sites and how much I use them is what tools I can use to interact with one and how much I like those tools. If I have to visit a site in a browser to use it, then it's probably not happening. My browser is too full with other things.

None of that's meant to be a knock against Tumblr, by the way. I've generally heard good things about it. It's more that I haven't found a way to integrate it with my workflow or generated enough interest to see out a way.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

I actually like Tumblr as a way to communicate and engage friends and family. It's extremely simple and the ability to post from almost any device is wonderful.

Using Tumblr for business is a completely different story. Tumblr doesn't have the same features or community backing it like WordPress does. What were you thinking of using Tumblr for?

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I'm with VG. I opened an account a while back but there just isn't anything about it that appeals to me that makes me want administer another profile somewhere. It also doesn't really do anything that I can't set up myself on any other social site, or blog or whatever it's supposed to be.
    Not saying that I don't like it. I just don't get what's so special about it.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Chris what advantages do you see in Tumblr other than the ones you've mentioned so far? Not that those are bad by any means, just curious. In recent years most of the talk about Tumblr is as a blogging tool where the blogging is more short form. I use WordPress and I wonder what the big deal is. I can publish short or long posts with WordPress. I'm wondering what I would gain with Tumblr that I don't currently have using WordPress. I honestly don't see a lot. That doesn't mean someone choosing between the two now has to go with WordPress, but what would I get from switching?

I also see Tumblr is always on the Tumblr domain and I prefer building content on my own domain as opposed to someone else. I'll certain post content to other sites, but the majority is staying on my domain.

None of the above of course deals with the social nature of Tumblr and it's not meant to be a knock on Tumblr. It's more a lack of knowledge about Tumblr on my part. Anything you could share would be appreciated.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

I'm not sure what to make of it. According to me daughter I am too old to be on it

Array

i think ill stick to facebook.... since about everybody is there already...
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

I am trying to keep an open mind to it. FB wasn't respected when it first came into vogue either.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I've never really looked at Tumblr nor do I know much about it. I thought it was primarily for pictures? Is that not the case?

No. It's a bit like a social networking/blogging platform.