Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: retail report.....

Array

Default retail report.....

i went to the mall....and into a store run by indians and full of stuff made in india..... have you ever been waited on by indians? or the owner of an indian store? i hate to generalize, but my experience has been over 80% super top notch .....they want to sell and pay attention to the customers..they can barely hear the word no.......i got wonderful service as usual ...and bought...

..then to macys...it wasnt busy...one clerk spoke and seemed slighlty irritated when i did want to be shown where something was..... evrything was heavily on sale, they didnt tell me about the last 20$% off until checkout... ..... i got about 60$ worth of stuff and went to the checkout counter and got rung up with about a second of eye contact and barely a break in the 3 clerks storetalk conversation among themselves...
    it was pretty bad...but not as bad as out in the mall...where one poor girl was manning a table for something and was texting., not even trying to look up.... glad shes not on my payroll...
    .... my workers are so good compred to most of what i saw....and i hope we pay as much attention to the buyers as the indians usually do ... .

ann
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Array

I work for Indians a few times a year...they have not been good customers to deal with, but they seem to refer me....they haggle..and haggle, and haggle....they think everything is negotiable...very cheap buyers.....everytime they call i cringe..

my last experience with a man from India was to fix a leak...i gave him my rates over the phone...i went over and told them it will take 1 hour to fix....then they asked how much...i said we already agreed upon my price over the phone and i came to work, not to give a free estimate.....they suddenly didnt like my price.... i said ill go, but you owe me $155....they backed down and said to fix it...

in the trades we joke about them with each other...also the Chinese....we joke about how they all get 20 bids to save $10

I would have thought they wouldnt be good sellers either.

Ive also noticed many of them dont treat their wives very well. Some have talked down to them in front of me...it bugged me...

different cultures dont always mix well....im a straight shooter who gives a price and wont budge....the Indian culture is all about bargaining to find the lowest price...then bargain some more.
    Last edited by huggytree; 12-12-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Array

Uh guys. I'm East Indian. Well half, but that is my culture and background and this feels a little uncomfortable. I know y'all mean no harm, but no one likes to be lumped as a stereotype and this forum is international and multi-cultural.

Yes, culturally it is a bargain-haggle culture and yes, it is very oppressive to women- but to paint everyone with the same brush is just ucky.

Yeah, it's a pain to keep up the facade of political correctness, but it really should be a matter of respect on open forums - shouldn't it?

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Patrysha View Post
    Uh guys. I'm East Indian. Well half, but that is my culture and background and this feels a little uncomfortable. I know y'all mean no harm, but no one likes to be lumped as a stereotype and this forum is international and multi-cultural.

Yes, culturally it is a bargain-haggle culture and yes, it is very oppressive to women- but to paint everyone with the same brush is just ucky.

Yeah, it's a pain to keep up the facade of political correctness, but it really should be a matter of respect on open forums - shouldn't it?
    Thank you Patrysha. I was a little shocked to read this. IMO, it's far more than being politically correct, but being part of the human race.

btw, I'm white, which is really irrelevant. Stereotyping and joking about those of another race or ethnicity is racist in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by huggytree View Post
    different cultures dont always mix well....im a straight shooter who gives a price and wont budge....the Indian culture is all about bargaining to find the lowest price...then bargain some more.
    I think it's the Asian culture in general. Given a choice between quality and price they seem to shop price. It's a shame because the US economy was built on quality products and services and this seems to be slipping as we become more aligned with Asian economies.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by painperdu View Post
    I think it's the Asian culture in general. Given a choice between quality and price they seem to shop price. It's a shame because the US economy was built on quality products and services and this seems to be slipping as we become more aligned with Asian economies.
    Again, that's pockets. For as many bargain shoppers as you can point out, I can point out as many Japanese, Vietnamese and Hong Kong immigrant and first generation families that shop exclusively at Holt Renfrew, Arnold Churgin, and other brand name exclusive boutiques.

I am a self-professed tightwad.

Is that because of my Scottish ancestory or my Indian side (keeping in mind that every woman on my step-mothers side of the family has enough gold to drape in that they make rapper's bling look understated)

Array

Quote Originally Posted by dynocat View Post
    btw, I'm white, which is really irrelevant.
    We haven't come far enough as a society to make the claim that it's really irrelevant. As someone who has lived in the half-n-half world, I don't think we'll be getting there anytime soon.

Array

i love their hand made stuff....and i think its high quality, not low......and will be gone once their traditional stuff gets modernized .. i so admire how good they are as sellers in the gift world.even moreso if they want your wholesale orders......my experience with the indian sellers i know is way above normal service in most stores...maybe because you are often with the owner not some uninterested worker... ...
    im glad to say i haggled him down a bit.....thats not wrong in my world.....im not supriesed with huggys experience tho...
    most crap on the cheap shelves comes from china....but the standards come from our companies..... so i wouldnt blame the chinese....
    talking about other cultures seems ok to me......and they are different.and all around us.....imho...

Array

Quote Originally Posted by greenoak View Post
    talking about other cultures seems ok to me......and they are different.and all around us.....imho...
    And nothing about that statement sounds off to you?

They??? Us??

I better walk away now because I am very tempted to say thing right now that would force Van Gogh into having to ban me for life.

Array

ooops...im politically incorrect i guess....
    wait till you are an old lady and chubby...then you can be actually picked on in polite society in all kinds of jokes..from mother in law things.. to cougar ...to granny panties.........and few care or notice....
    ..i wasnt rudely mentioning indians...just reporting my good experience...which i had in our other store in the 80s as well..when we bought gauze blouses and shesham wood boxes and hippie beads for our store...
    ..... but true they arent us...maybe later when they get totally integrated into our culture..

anyway i do notice difference in cultures.... its a fact..imho...and not good or bad...
    . i hope for total homoginizing /for world peace...but till then i like some diversity...
    im very white and not too proud of it....
    ann