Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you Research Potential Hires on the Web?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

If an individual chooses to place that picture on their page and then they brag about it to all their buddies, for all the world to see, I view this person as unreliable and irresponsible, to a degree.
    Absolutely. I would think anyone who posts drunken images of themselves and brags about it isn't really someone you want working for you. And I'm certainly not arguing against the idea of not hiring someone even if they didn't post their own picture. More something I find interesting. Like I said most of us who have been to college have had nights where we made drunken fools of ourselves. It's part of the college experience. I'd say even more of us have done something we regret at one point or another. What's interesting is that not all have those moments caught on film. I also think as this happens to more and more people, less and less companies will worry about it when hiring. Sooner or later someone who once lost jobs over a picture on Facebook will be in a hiring position.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I have to agree that it's one thing if people are posting pictures of themselves and bragging about how messed up they got last week and another if other people are posting pictures of you. You can control what you post. You can't control what other people post. Plus, ultimately, there might be a lot of people who are out getting drunk and partying every day but are smart enough to keep that off their social media accounts.

Really the only thing you can know about someone from their social media accounts is what they want to tell you. I would think that checking their accounts would be more useful as a way of determining if your impression of them in an interview was right or not. I don't know that I would not hire someone on the basis of what they had on their Facebook page or Twitter feed, but I would take it into consideration.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

That's how I feel about it. I would definitely take it into consideration, but I'm not sure I'd hold it against someone if they didn't post anything stupid. Of course it's still going to be in mind so maybe it has an influence, but I wouldn't automatically remove someone from consideration, because someone else took a picture of them while they were drunk. Odds are everyone else I'd be interviewing has been drunk once or twice too.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

If someone else took the picture of them, then I would probably never know about the picture because it would be placed on someone elses profile somewhere else on the web. And like everyone else, I agree that you can't hold it against them if someone else took the picture and placed it on their own page. I certainly understand that college is college, and that things happen. BUT, I would hold it against the candidate if he chose to put it on their own site. To me that is the defining action, and to me it speaks volumes about character...
    If you have a reputation built around virtue and integrity, and you hire someone with a questionable character it only tears down the reputation you are trying to build and makes one look like a hypocrite...
    tulsa accounting agency providing nationwide payroll services and do-it-yourself online payroll

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

The thing is if they tagged the image with the person's name it might still show up. Also a cousin of mine posted an image on his profile of me, him, and his brother from when we were 4 or 5 years old. There is a connection to my profile. I forget whether it shows up on my profile or of there's a quick link to it. Either way you could easily see it and I had nothing to do with posting. I'm guessing I can prevent it from showing up on my profile, though in this case I don't mind the image. However with Facebook making changes all the time some people aren't going to figure out how to change it.

Or how about the person who opened an account, but rarely uses it. I hardly ever sign in to Facebook. People could be posting images of me right now and I might never know about.

We're in total agreement about posting the picture on your own profile. You have to know by now that employers are likely to search those things and posting pictures of yourself in compromising situations is something you really need to be thinking about. That does show a lack of judgement that I think would be cause for not hiring.

I have a hunch though if we fast forward 20 years this will be a non issue. By then so many people will have shared embarrassing images of themselves that no one will really think much about it.

I think you need to be very careful when you are taking information from an unknown context. I know someone (bob). Bob's brother takes a corvette for a test drive. Steals the car, totals it, gets arrested, doesn't have a license with him and says he is bob. Mom comes down and identifies him as bob. Bob doesn't find out about this until he gets a letter saying he has to appear in court for a bunch of charges. Bob calls the investigating officer. Cop doesn't believe him over the phone. Meanwhile bobs brother is in jail in another state for some other crime. So bob, the arresting officer, and mom go to court. Bob has his ID and talks to the arresting officer. Officer immediately recognizes that Bob wasn't driving that corvette. Brother does a year in jail and mom also does time for lying to the officer and the court.

The think is, on paper, Bob was arrested and his name was in arrest documents all over the place. He wasn't smart enough to get a letter from the cop saying his brother was the guilty party and the cop has retired. This was about 20 years ago.

So, he goes for a job and checks the box never been arrested. Company does a background check and it says he stole a corvette. Or he checks the box has been arrested and attaches the story. Either way his application goes in the circular file.

The above is completely true. The point being, in using info you find on the web, you should be very careful in how you use it. Weird things happen and in the case of my friend it has haunted him for life.