Page 1 of 59 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Play the movie game

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Default Play the movie game

On the old forum some of us were playing a movie game and having a lot of fun with it. We'd managed to keep the game going for close to two years and I see no reason why we shouldn't start it again here.

Rules of the Game
    If you've ever played the game 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon you pretty much know the rules of the game.

Some starts with a move, picks an actor from the cast, and then picks another movie that actor was in. We generally also list the year of the movie since many times there's more than one movie with the same title.

Example:
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid => Paul Newman => The Sting (1973)

The next person in the chain would start with The Sting, pick a member of the cast, and then pick another movie with the cast member chosen.

Pretty simple

A Twist on the Game
    Steve and I added a new wrinkle to keep the game interesting. Somehow we started keeping the movies in the 1930s. For a few months we've only chosen movies from the 30s and we've tried very hard not to repeat the name of an actor.

We'd like to continue in that fashion so in addition to the rules above the one additional rule is all movies chosen should be from the 1930s.

We also add a little information about why we chose a particular actor or movie and sometimes list some trivia. It's not technically part of the game, but it's fun.

I'll pick up the thread where we left off at the old forum in my next post.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Blondie Brings Up Baby => Arthur Lake => Topper (1937)

I went with Topper since it has a few well known cast members. I know we've mentioned some, but we can probably start again with cast members as having been mentioned 0 times since we're starting the game anew.

Arthur Lake is probably best known for his role as Dagwood in the Blondie series. His real name was Carl Laemmie and he was also the founder of Universal Pictures.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Topper (1937) - Cary Grant - Holiday (9138)

Cary Grant made two or three pretty funny movies with Katherine Hepburn. I think Holiday was one of them.

I'm playing the movie game again! YAY!

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Holiday => Katherine Hepburn => Stage Door (1937)

Are you sure Holiday came out in 9138? How did you know it existed.

I had to pick Katherine Hepburn since she's one of my all time favorite actors. Everything I've ever seen her do was great. It's amazing how long her career lasted too. The first movie I see her listed in came out in 1932 and her last credit was a tv movie from 1994. Not bad to have a 62 year career.

Glad to have you back in the game.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

I'll gladly rejoin in this game, but I have to duck out for a few hours very soon and want to get some writing done. I'll be joining you here soon though.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Stage Door - Ginger Rogers - Top Hat (1935)

O.k. so I flashed forward far into the future on the last one.

I never was a big Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire fan but I did like to watch them dance.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Top Hat => Fred Astaire => Dancing Lady (1933)

Since it would have been easy to get caught in the Fred and Ginger trap and we don't want to repeat names I gave you a movie with an all-star cast.

Funny on your earlier dyslexic typing.

I love watching Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies. They could dance and it's fun to watch. I grew up watching old movies on late night tv and so many were from the 30s and 40s. Sometimes I feel like I know those stars of yesteryear better than the stars of today.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Dancing Lady - Clark Gable - Gone with the Wind (1939)

I'm with you, I still love watching old musicals. Gene Kelly was my favorite. Couldn't sing much but he was an awesome dancer.

Gone with the Wind was a great movie too. Viven Leigh was so gorgeous, and Clark Gable was so dashing.

Array

Gone with the Wind - Thomos Mitchell - Trade Winds (1938)

Well i hope i have gone along the right path here as i have not played this game before. But does sound like some fun.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Trade Winds - Ralph Bellamy - Carefree (1938)

Orien_Joel, you did fine. I'm glad you've decided to play

One of my favorite movies with Ralph Bellamy is His Girl Friday. Unfortunately, it came out in 1940, so it didn't make the cut.