Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Advertising Idea

Array

What I was addressing was the comment about how a sign doesn't work.

I did not make any comments if a sign should be used.

Good marketing practice is to determine what type of marketing vehicle is best suited to a specific problem, quite a different conversation. A sign is a marketing vehicle and once that's selected as a vehicle then a good marketer will determine the message, offer, etc.

If you asked me "would I have a sign poked in the front yard?" my answer would be "Sometimes", it's cheap and gives me a slight branding ability if designed and used with good marketing practices.

Would I expect a customer from the yard sign, no! Could I get a customer? yes. Would I want that type of customer? No!!!!!!

Many people depend on signs, truck lettering, and a yellow page advertisement and think they "Do marketing", at the very least it's laughable. Then when it doesn't work which is almost always true, they blame there own poor marketing solutions instead of there own ability to understand the real issue. Using this as the sole means of marketing usually produces poor customers, a well documented fact!

I use a marketing system that targets a whole different customer. None of this is a secret, marketing professionals are very aware of what I speak but the fact few business owners take the time to understand the difference between customers. They usually just complaine about customers and close the doors within 15-20 years, never able to reap the full benefits of a well designed company.

Guessing about a sign and if it's a good or bad idea is foolish when data to support these claims is easily available. Why reinvent the wheel, the solutions to these questions were answered hundreds of years ago. All we need to to is apply it.

I have personally owned and sold 7 companies and have made many mistakes during the process. One thing I never did was repeat them!!!

Mike

Array

Steve, I realize at times I may seem harsh and mean spirited but that's not my intention. We don't need to guess at marketing, anybody can have a business and squeek out a living, or have a decent business that even makes money. But to have a great business takes a complete understanding of the process. I didn't invent the process, i'm not even the slightest bit creative and that's fine because I don't need to be. I use prooven methods and rules designed by business leaders who went through the learning process.

Mike

Array

huggy, im thinking your signs might be hard to judge....maybe the public is seeing them a lot....and when they go to the yellow pages to find a plumber, they think...hey i ve heard of him...
    we pay a bit over 600 a month for 3 billboards and are so GLAD...
    i sure dont think marketing decisions are easy or easy to research.... its more like gut and smoke and mirrors to me.... but we couldnt do without it...
    ANN
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

The thing with signs on a van is you have to consider their function. Are they there so someone will write down your number as you're driving by and rush home to call or are they more of a branding mechanism. Someone sees your sign and 4 months later recognizes your name in the phone book and chooses to call you. They may not even remember seeing your van sign specifically when they call, but because they've seen it enough they think of you as the market leader or a trusted business or something else that gets them to call.

You can't really measure directly how well an ad or sign geared toward branding will work. You can measure it to an extent, but not directly on a one to one basis.

A sign on the side of your van with your logo and contact information seems like such a low cost thing, why wouldn't you do it. Unless you drive erratically to the point where people notice and that becomes the association with your brand I can't see how it hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by cocoy
    What I don't like is the trailer is being used/operated by some other business or person that I would have no control over.
    That's a good point and is the major downside of renting out the trailers. You are relying on the person renting it to not act in a way that damages your brand. Unfortunately you have no control over that. Odds are you'd be fine, but it's something to consider.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I think any advertising medium works -- if you put the right message on it. To say this or that type of advertising doesn't work, doesn't make sense. The trailer idea, the park benches, the keytags, magnets, doorhangers, painted roofs, yard signs, billboards and everything else will work - with the right message.

I wonder at the process of choosing the medium then deciding what message to put on it. I would expect a marketer to recommend the messsage then decide which medium will best deliver it. Horses and carts, don't you know?!

I never did any advertising for my plumbing company but plenty of promotion (all costing nothing but time) and turned over millions of dollars per year. And I never had a single call about unblocking drains and changing out a WC - because we didn't do that kind of work and those that wanted that kind of work didn't even know we existed!

I think it is important to know the customers you want, determine the message that will attract them and then decide the medium that will best carry that message. And not do any other advertising and promotion that will come to the attention of people you don't want to sell to.

Array

Steve...i completely agree about credibility....you MUST have a well marked van to look professional...thats why I have it and always will....I can see your yard signs working better because people can see your work...people see you outside doing something to their neighbors house..they are curious...plus you are alittle more specialized...im guessing there arent 20 pages in the phone book with dog fencing like me w/ plumbing... i have remodelers who do additions...they get calls from the signs...their sign has no 'offer'...usually not as nice as mine....just the company name and a tag line.

Green Oak...I completely agree about someone seeing my name on a sign and then once again in the phone book...definately.....its hard to measure that one....but as far as the sign alone...nothing....i can see a bill board near an expressway exit working for you...when i used to go to antique malls Id randomly pull off the expressway for Antique signs........

handprop....im 3/4 lost on this 'offer' thing.....i need some examples to understand..
    give me some examples using different businesses...your on whole other level of thinking of me....you sound very deep or something. i am lost...help me be found.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spider
    I would expect a marketer to recommend the messsage then decide which medium will best deliver it. Horses and carts, don't you know?!
    Absolutely. The message has to come first and based on that message, which ultimately is your brand, you choose which mediums make the most sense to get your message across to people. You're right. Any kind of advertising can work if it fits with the message.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Mark, start your on thread, we have a lot of work to do!

Mike

Array

Hey Dave, I just checked out your website and took a look at your truck.

You're right, your name and phone number are huge. But, you have no other message on it (unless you have it on the back). Perhaps a catchy tag line or a something might help a bit - especially on the back when people have a bit more time to read it if they're stuck behind you at a light.

My van has a thing about my rechargeable collars and a photo of a dog catching a frisbee (showing off how happy the dogs will be). My van is visable in the video clip on my website if you're interested. I have the rechargeable collar in every advertising thing I ever do because nobody else has it and it's a huge benefit. Again, my van signage doesn't work any better than what you've done, so take this advice for what it's worth.

Also, you might want to put your website on your signature of this forum. I had to look you up on Google.
    Steve B

Array

dh wont let me put anything on ours because the word antiques might attract robbery...
    id love to see our 2 big trucks all decked out!!!!
    ann
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com