Thread: Communication

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Default Communication

I think most of us would agree that good communication is a vital part of any successful business, yet it is something many businesses often overlook. I know the company I work for could be better at communicating.

If you work with others, how do you make sure good communication exists? If you work alone, how do you communicate with your clients to ensure that all parties understand what's expected?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

With clients I do my best to explain things as best as I can. You can't completely avoid miscommunication, but I try to stay away from industry jargon.

Even more I really try to listen to what clients are telling me. The more communication we have the better I can be at understanding what they're saying even if the words are sometimes technically different from the meaning.

To me it's about listening, not just hearing, but really listening to what others are saying, and doing your best to explain things as simply as possible. Asking again can also be helpful. Sometimes I'll restate what a client says to me in a question back to them to make sure we're on the same page.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Hmmm, at work, i think they need a good lesson in communication. Seriously the management team spend so much time talking to each other through out the day, but it appears they must never talk about anything to do with the business, or at least nothing relevant because so often two of them know nothing about what the others are doing.

For my own business, i attempt to keep the best communication i can, often i will ask a question back in the way that i understand it to ensure it does match to the way the client understands it. In addition i do try and encourage clients to submit orders or request's that i charge them for in writing, so i have evidence of the purchase request or such at later date if it is questioned.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Array

I try to follow up every phone call with an email - that way whatever I understand to have agreed to is in writing... it helps alleviate miscommunication
    ~Jenn
    Crazy Dog Creative: Graphic Design and Marketing

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

That's a good idea to follow up calls with an email. I suppose I do that sometimes, though not as a general rule. I just happen to email clients a lot so there's usually that opportunity.

I do try to make notes while on the phone too, though I sometimes forget. If I don't do it while on the phone I like to make notes as soon as the call is finished.

Sometimes if a client wants me to see a specific site I ask them to email me a link to it, in part to get them to put some of the details of our conversation in an email.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I try to make notes during phone calls or while the discussion is occurring. It helps to be able to refer back later is someone forgets what they said. That's why I always try to ask questions via e-mail too. That way, when you get an answer, you can produce it later if there's some question about what has happened.

It's kind of sad but sometimes it is necessary to cover your behind.

Array

In my business when i'm doing the estimate I like too take what ever time it takes too make sure my customer understands what they will be getting. I don't like too do something and have too do it over because it is something they don't like. It also builds a sense of trust between us when I let them explain what there needs are in a fence and make sugestions using my experiance to know how, and what the out come will look like.

Once in a blue moon I have a client that can't picture any thing even if you show them a plan. they have a hard time. There the hardest too work for. I try too add on to the proposal too cover the extra conversations that might occur when i'm doing the job.

Array

There are those that just do not know how to communicate all that well. Being in administration for over 18 years, it really is important to have accurate notes and to do a follow-up in writing. Whether it's a client, your boss or a co-worker.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Accurate notes are a lifesaver. I can't tell you the number of times I've been told something only to have someone forget or deny they said it. Having notes really helps.