Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wordpress Custom Field Use

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Yeah. It's really not something you see used often since most of the time the equals operator works well enough. I remembered it being in some of the books I read when learning PHP and then did some searching to make sure it was true for PHP. I didn't find anything through Google either, but did find the page from php.net.

I can't think of a single time I've ever used either === or !== in any script or program. Just knew they existed.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

The !== appears to be used at least in the one theme that i am using on the page from elegant themes, when checking for the existence of a thumbnail or not.

for the / in the self closing tags, didn't sound to be questioning, however i was not sure if that was the bit you meant in the first post did the search and found the listing of valid HTML 4.01 / XHTML tags, which is the link i shared before.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

The choice to use !== or != will come down to what you're comparing and how exact you want to be. Most people will use !=, but !== is the stricter test.

I guess with the self closing tags I thought I was saying the same thing as the page you linked to. So I was confused. Guess I didn't do a good job saying what I meant. As long as you got the information it's no big deal. The important things was just to know about the self enclosing tags.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

The thing is i did not know what self closing tags are. But also thought the tag reference may be useful for others that are not so familiar with coding in general.

Anyway i think we are all on the same page now.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Oh yeah. I think it was good you posted the link. Like you said others will be reading and it can provide a good reference.

The self closing tags are an xhtml thing. html tags should be closed, but browsers will often display things right if you forget. Some tags like the img tag don't have the closing tag. xhtml is more strict and says you have to close all tags and so those tags that don't have a natural closing tag get the self closing tag.

Of course in a few years we'll all mostly be using html5, which won't need the self closing tags though it will happily accept them.