Thread: How to build steel parts

Default How to build steel parts

For building steel parts, do you need a mechanical draftsman or an engineer or both? As I understand it, draftsmen draw it up and give dimensions to it, and engineers test it. I am interested in finding out what it takes to manufacture air shafts and roll shafts as they are a missing piece of what I do.

I am only trying to figure out costs. Trying to figure out who I might have to hire or employ.

Thanks.

Array

The best answer I can give you is if you know what you want as far as dimensions and the general design a draftsman could do that. If you need to worry about strength, stresses and flows or the like then an engineer is going to be the best bet. An engineer should be able to do both. If it is one project you can probably find someone to do it on a freelancer site.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com

Array

I'd go with the experienced engineer. A roll shaft, depending on whether it is hollow with welded supports and journals or solid, is a simple enough job for a 2 axis lathe providing your machinist knows what he's doing. Adding keyslots will change tooling requirements and add some complexity to setups. I can't help with an air shaft as the only air shafts I'm familiar with would require a civil engineer or architect.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool