Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adding to a Facebook fan page.

Array

Default Adding to a Facebook fan page.

I cannot see how to add a section to a Facebook fan page. I want to add a "library" or a "bookshelf" with self improvement books, CDs, etc. to my Self Improvement FB Fan Page. Does anyone know how to do that?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Just wanting to give this thread a bump so it stays near the top and I can get an answer to the question too. I have a hunch either eborg or Kristine will be answering this one.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

In the absence of an answer, I am contemplating this solution, VG. --

Creating a dedicated page for Facebook on my own website, Self-Improvement Pages (selfimprovementpages.com) and linking to it from the FB fan page's Notes section.

I'd have a link back to FB on the website page.

In fact, this may even be a preferred option, because the fanpage was established to drive traffic to the website, where there are more things for people to buy. The link back would also drive more traffic to the fan page from people who arrive first at the website. (Two-way flow of traffic.)

What do you think of that? Would something like that work for your situation? Any improvements to suggest?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

That would work and might even be the better solution as you say. The goal is to drive people from your Facebook page to your site so why not do that.

Can you add a link in a permanent place on your Facebook page? If you can, couldn't you also add the library links there as well? is there a limit on how many links you can add? Were you thinking the library would be more than simple links?

I'm not sure if you were planning this or even want to do this, but you could have the recommended books be affiliate links to Amazon (or other). That probably isn't allowed at Facebook, but would be at your site. YOu could display an image of the cover of the book and then a brief description of the book on your site.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

There are a few Book type apps available like "We Read" where you can show your personal bookshelf, and suggest readings to your group ,but the best way IMO, if you want to build a page store, is to use the "Profile Box" , or any of the other apps that allow you to build with HTML (they call it FBML) and design the page yourself, and insert your own affiliate or other links.

For most of the app settings, there is an option to make it a "Tab", which will place it in your menu.

FB disabled the option to rename your tabs, so it's a little harder to make custom tab titles, but not impossible.
    I know that if you use the HTML (FBML) boxes, (and you set a particular box to be displayed as a "tab"), the title of the tab will take on what ever name you title the box. So if you name the box "Bookstore" it will display on the tab "Bookstore".

I have also seen some pages use the "notes" section to display book reviews with purchase links.

I checked out some of the larger book retailers like Borders, and Good Read and they don't have a store per se', but they do link from reviews to the online store.

I also looked at some musicians that sell their own music, and they either use a combination of app such as "iLike" (which does nothing for books) , you tube apps to show their own videos, link to a sale page that is on their own website using store banners, or build the page from scratch to include their latest catalog.

I see people selling books, and ebooks on their profiles, but usually it is a combination of boxes on the "boxes" tab, or HTML.

So the easy answer is..good old fashioned HTML and design it yourself.

...hope that helps.

Array

Yes, it does - thanks Harold and Steve. I am part way through creating a page for my website but there are other things in your explanations that appeal.

I'll let you know how it ends up.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

eborg I knew we'd get a good answer from you. I think you've spent more time with Facebook than the rest of us.

Thanks.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Yes, it does - thanks Harold and Steve. I am part way through creating a page for my website but there are other things in your explanations that appeal.

I'll let you know how it ends up.
    I'm more than happy to give you any help, tips or suggestions if you need them.

Array

I appreciate the offer, Harold. There is an immediate question that has been bothering me for a while--

Is it possible to place a permanent link on one's Home page to one's own fan page? I realize this won't place a permanent link on the News Feed (which goes to create our friends' home pages) but it would make one's own life convenient. As it stands, to go to my own fan page I must hunt around from the bottom left menu "Ads and Pages," go through page settings and 'view page' - a minimum of 3 clicks + the wait time. How can I go straight there?

I have found a 2-click method - the top left menu, the one that starts with News Feed, expands with 'more' at the bottom, which then reveals a 'Create new list' link. This shows you your list of friends, which includes fan pages. I made a list of one - my Self Improvement fan page - and named the list Self Improvement. That now appears in the menu. It doesn't send me to my fan page but it does list on my home page all the posts by me as admin of SI. A click on one of the icons takes me to the fan page.

Now that is convenient for me, but how can I pass that on to others?

The problem I see here is that, with fan pages, groups and blogs, once created they are left out in no-man's-land and no-one gets to see them except for the few minutes they appear in, before getting buried by, the News Feed.

We cannot expect to be able to impose our fanpage, group or blog, on other people, but it would be nice if we can tell them how to place a permananet link on their home page, if we can convince them that they really want to do that.

Do you understand what I am getting at?

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I think I understand what you are asking, "How do you get others to link to your fan page ?"

Well, when people become a fan, it is listed in their profile that they are a fan of your page, along with the others.
    Other fan pages can "favorite" your fan page as well and some fan pages display their favorite pages like I do on mine here

Also when someone "likes" a comment, link or update that you have posted, or comments on something that you have posted, your link shows up on their wall.

People can add your link on their links section, but the problem is, most people (and there are 360 million on Facebook) don't really understand how things like that work. Any one of us can make a links page, hyperlink an image, or what ever we need to do, but the "regular" people don't really know how, or pay much attention to how to do it....they are on Facebook to socialize and play games.

There are plenty if link building applications on Facebook, but unless people learn how to use them, there's really not a whole lot you can do to give people instructions on how to link to you.

unfortunately, I can't think of a way to instruct people to link to you because the average person doesn't know how to work more than the basic functions in FB, so you are left with the ones that actually do, and you don't have to tell them how, they already know.

Lastly, your "Fans" can suggest to their connections to become a "fan" of your page.

I'm not sure if that answers your question, if not, kinda slow it down for me, it was a little confusing.

Oh yeah, about the fan page link from your personal profile ? Just add it to the same place that you have your website(s) listed in your profile. I also have a "profile page" on my personal Facebook page that shows my business facebook pages.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 09-30-2009 at 05:57 PM.