Thread: benefit moving my business to Tennessee?

Default benefit moving my business to Tennessee?

Hello, 1st post here. I have a sole proprietorship in California and its killing me on taxes, not to mention everything else going on in the state. My question, would it benefit me/my business to move to Tennessee? I understand Tennessee doesnt have personal income tax but how does it work for sole proprietorships? Thanks much.

Array

Leaving taxes to the side, how would moving to Tennessee affect your customers and your delivery of products or services?
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

No problems at all.

Array

I forgot about this. If moving will not affect your business from a product and customer point of view, than your next call should be to either a business lawyer or business accountant based in Tennessee.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

If you have sales and such in California, or if you're performing any of that work in California, the state will say you need to register with them and pay taxes back to California anyways. The reason many big companies incorporate in Deleware isn't so much the tax benefits as it is the legal benefits. The taxes are simplified a bit for them as it relates to Deleware, but these big businesses still need to register in every state they do business with.
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."

Banned
    Array

Your business may need to obtain business licenses or professional licenses depending on its business activities. Tennessee provides a comprehensive website of every profession and occupation that requires a license by any sole proprietorship.