Thread: How do I stay focused on starting a restaurant business, and stay motivated?

Default How do I stay focused on starting a restaurant business, and stay motivated?

How do I stay focused on starting a restaurant business, and stay dedicated to developing and operating that business?

I've been interested in starting a restaurant that will be a start up. Initially it will be started as a single unit operation, and then after some time I hope to expand it to a multi-unit operation that is franchised with franchisees operating additional locations added to the start up after it's entered into its franchise stage, and individual owners and managers will own an manage those additional locations independent of me.

Until then however, I've been having a hard time staying focused on creating that restaurant start up, and staying focused on developing its business idea, business plan, determining how to acquire investors and financing for it, developing a marketing and advertising plan, engineering its menu, figuring out where to get employees for it and management for it and how many of them I need for it, and other things I need to do during its development stage, launch stage, and its operation until its exit strategy is implemented and successfully done.

It's obvious that with a restaurant start up like the one I hope to start, I'll need to have focus, dedication, and I will be working on it for a long time and busy with a lot of work doing the mentioned and dealing with it. Sometimes the length of time I have to dedicate to working on the things mentioned drags me down and makes me lose focus due to mental and psychological fatigue.

Planning for all of the things mentioned can get frustrating and exhausting due to the amount of detail needed to do it properly, and it wears me out whenever I try and force myself to do it.

Sometimes I lose focus due to looking at others with their careers, and I get jealous of how they make theirs seem less fatiguing, how they have more people into their career path versus what I'm trying to do with mine, and them usually working in a way that seems more promising sometimes when it comes to security versus me trying to start a restaurant start up makes me lose focus on what I'm doing and desire to copy them.

That shouldn't happen, and I should try my best to stay on track and start my restaurant start up, as its something that can truly benefit me if successful and is something I should actually do for personal goals.

I don't know many people doing restaurant start ups, and going down this path of starting one alone makes me feel unfocused on doing what I'm doing at times being so alone in what I'm doing. It makes me feel insecure or something choosing this path by myself, and not really having anyone in my life being able to relate to it, or feel more confident in doing it by having more people around me doing it with me.

How can I stop feeling insecure about the mentioned? Stay focused on what I'm doing? Not care if anyone is doing what I'm doing? Not care if anyone is doing what I'm doing while I'm doing it?

Are you considering brick and mortal type Restaurants or the Food Truck type? There is a lot of things that come with a business, there is a lot of good ways to start you just have to make sure you have a good reputation about yourself. In my opinion a Restaurant business should start by cooking for people in your home a lot and inviting others to try different meals and then upgrade from there. This way you have a foundation of already familiar people in the area you live in with your food. Feel free to private message me for some more advice!

PS: You will make it, I can see from your message you seems a bit low in energy right now!

Some people are laser-focused and have no difficulty staying on task. Others have real challenges (like ADD - attention deficit disorder) and can stay on task only by teaching themselves "tricks" or by taking medication, or both. Most people fall somewhere in between. It is easy to lose focus, particularly when you are in the early steps of a very long process like creating a new business.

I have found that the best way to keep focused is to create discreet written goals with relatively tight deadlines. "Opening a restaurant" is much too broad. Think of it in terms of a very detailed checklist and pick one or two items. In no particular order, there are steps like:
    • Choose an initial concept. Is it going to be a diner, a hamburger stand, an ethnic restaurant, a BBQ restaurant.
    • Choose a type of location - not a specific site. Is it going to be a downtown destination restaurant, a drive-through on a busy highway, or a mall-type restaurant.
    • Look for market research to see if your preferred concept and location are feasible. If it doesn't look promising, rethink your concept and/or your location.
    • Based on your concept and location, come up with a list of startup costs and ongoing costs. Initial startup costs include build-out costs, kitchen equipment, dining area furniture, cash registers, dishware, security deposits for rent and utilities, etc... Ongoing costs include food, labor, rent, utilities and supplies.
    • Once you know your costs, can you project revenues that are reasonably expected to cover your ongoing expenses as well as provide a payback of your startup costs? If the answer is "no" then you need to revisit one or more of the previous steps.
    • If you have reached this point, it is time to do a detailed cash flow projection. Even if you eventually have revenues that give you a reasonable return on the investment in your restaurant, you need cash which is sufficient to get you to that point.
    • Once you know your cash flow needs, how do you get the cash? Do you have it yourself? Do you get it from friends and family? Is it a personal loan to you or an investment by them in the business?

This isn't an exhaustive list but simply some ideas for how to focus your thinking.

Restaurants are a very risky investment. Although the myth that 90% of restaurants fail in the first year has been repeatedly debunked, a study by researchers at Ohio State University found that in Columbus, Ohio during the years 1996 to 1999, the failure rate was around 60%, still a very high number. If you can't stay focused, your chances that make it even past the first year are not very good.

Be honest with yourself. Test your focus on small goals with set deadlines. If you can't do that, then the chances are very small that you will keep your focus long enough to successfully create a restaurant chain.

As a final note, over the years I have worked with a lot of seasoned investors. Given the choice between a great idea and so-so execution or a so-so idea with great execution, they will take the latter. Every time. Ideas without the ability to execute are never going to come to fruition.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jared View Post
    How do I stay focused on starting a restaurant business, and stay dedicated to developing and operating that business?

I've been interested in starting a restaurant that will be a start up. Initially it will be started as a single unit operation, and then after some time I hope to expand it to a multi-unit operation that is franchised with franchisees operating additional locations added to the start up after it's entered into its franchise stage, and individual owners and managers will own an manage those additional locations independent of me.

Until then however, I've been having a hard time staying focused on creating that restaurant start up, and staying focused on developing its business idea, business plan, determining how to acquire investors and financing for it, developing a marketing and advertising plan, engineering its menu, figuring out where to get employees for it and management for it and how many of them I need for it, and other things I need to do during its development stage, launch stage, and its operation until its exit strategy is implemented and successfully done.

It's obvious that with a restaurant start up like the one I hope to start, I'll need to have focus, dedication, and I will be working on it for a long time and busy with a lot of work doing the mentioned and dealing with it. Sometimes the length of time I have to dedicate to working on the things mentioned drags me down and makes me lose focus due to mental and psychological fatigue.

Planning for all of the things mentioned can get frustrating and exhausting due to the amount of detail needed to do it properly, and it wears me out whenever I try and force myself to do it.

Sometimes I lose focus due to looking at others with their careers, and I get jealous of how they make theirs seem less fatiguing, how they have more people into their career path versus what I'm trying to do with mine, and them usually working in a way that seems more promising sometimes when it comes to security versus me trying to start a restaurant start up makes me lose focus on what I'm doing and desire to copy them.

That shouldn't happen, and I should try my best to stay on track and start my restaurant start up, as its something that can truly benefit me if successful and is something I should actually do for personal goals.

I don't know many people doing restaurant start ups, and going down this path of starting one alone makes me feel unfocused on doing what I'm doing at times being so alone in what I'm doing. It makes me feel insecure or something choosing this path by myself, and not really having anyone in my life being able to relate to it, or feel more confident in doing it by having more people around me doing it with me.

How can I stop feeling insecure about the mentioned? Stay focused on what I'm doing? Not care if anyone is doing what I'm doing? Not care if anyone is doing what I'm doing while I'm doing it?
    Justin,
    first - the restaurant industry is the hardest business because you have employee turnover, inspections and slow times. Starting from scratch is hard as opposed to buying an existing establishment.
    second - if it is not a fire in your belly and your PASSION do not venture forth
    third - you answered your question and this is NOT for you to do
    fourth - what is your passion???

Do you work in a restaurant and been a GM? Been a server? What is your experience ??? Do you have a spouse supporting this interest?

I fund businesses all over the world and help them expand. I also fund startups. The borrowers are VERY PASSIONATE about their "baby" and it is consuming them.

When you find your passion - that will be your future.
    Last edited by beetee; 11-02-2019 at 09:01 AM.

Amature Expert
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jared View Post
    It sounds like you need to pivot. Follow your interest, but do a food truck or something with less risk.

1.Buy a truck.
    2. Sell food.

If it's not your thing, then it's not your thing. Find a different solution.
    "Finding a different solution" is the key to success.
    People won't finance your first restaurant. Number 5 maybe.
    Last edited by SkyWriting; 11-15-2019 at 11:31 AM.
    - Visualize one perfect grateful customer - Educate them on how to purchase intelligently - Deliver an amazing, unforgettable purchase experience. - Support the customer for their life

To run a Restaurant business is not a grandma house, this is so difficult to handle out.You need to foucs on food and quality.
    Need to change interior and furniture for new designs and use location wisely.

This business is expensive and hard to run.
    I also experiences this and found only loss, i have sold out my furniture with 50% cost. I buy through Holloways of Ludlow discount codes for saving purpose.

Firstly, reward yourself with a break.
    Get back in touch with why you're doing what you're doing.
    Re-evaluate your goals.
    Give your motivation a daily workout.
    Create an action plan.
    Organise your mornings.
    Shake things up for renewed inspiration.