Thread: Craigslist Scam

Default Craigslist Scam

I just put a car up for sale on Craigslist for 800 dollars. I'm getting what appear to be automated texts from people wanting to buy the car site unseen. Two were identical and wanted me to email them at gmail addresses. The other one wants to pay by paypal and pick up the car sight unseen. These look and breathe scam, but I have no idea what the scam is. Does anybody have any ideas?

Array

Yes scams. Do not send any email addresses. Also you will need to meet at a police station and talk to the person first on the phone. They do this with furniture too. I don't know who "they" are.

I sold furniture and you will be able to tell who is real.

After a weekend of this, the scams are pretty obvious. One was trying to get me to accept a cashiers check, car unseen, and they pick up the car. The email from them was in pretty bad English which is always a giveaway.

The text messages to get my email appear to have been simply to get my real email for correspondence so it didn't go through Craigslist filters.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by billbenson View Post
    After a weekend of this, the scams are pretty obvious. One was trying to get me to accept a cashiers check, car unseen, and they pick up the car. The email from them was in pretty bad English which is always a giveaway.

The text messages to get my email appear to have been simply to get my real email for correspondence so it didn't go through Craigslist filters.
    Indeed, follow your gut. I think they want your email to start hacking your accounts. Paypal too. When someone wants to buy, meet at police station.

In our culture you have to be very careful. I admire people when they make a mistake. They are honest and admit it.
    Chris
    Owner Cel Financial
    https://incometaxprepfillmore.com/

Array

Quote Originally Posted by chrismarklee View Post
    In our culture you have to be very careful. I admire people when they make a mistake. They are honest and admit it.
    I do not understand. What culture? Who made a mistake?