Thread: Which Comes First: Looking for Investors or Registering the Business?

Default Which Comes First: Looking for Investors or Registering the Business?

In my country, we have to register for a business (incl. business name), register for tax, register for a business license (all separate agencies). There are 2 types of taxes: one for SMEs and another one for the big earners.

I want to start a small business but it will still require a few millions. I know a few potential investors but I haven't spoken to them yet because my business plan needs to be finalized before I present it to them.

Should I register for the business even if I cannot actually start anything for another 2-3 years? I will need to buy property specifically for it, which needs funding from investors. But how would they know I'm serious or legit if I haven't even registered?

In the next few years while I sort this out I will also be taking a few business courses to help me along the way.

Array

What type of business and where?

Array

What kind of small business startup requires property and millions before prototyping and proofing is done? As Beetee asked, what type of business and where?
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Array

He lives in China and wants to start a medical clinic combined with a drug store or dispensary type of business as far as I can see. Before that he was thinking about a candy business.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com

Array

Zharlene, if you come to me with your project you would need to be a registered company. You would need to have a business plan with at least 5 yr projections. This is not a small business.

Also how much funding do you need? Depending on the amount you would need to have your own money invested on your side. There are few investors that will invest 100%.

You may want to look at angel investors or VC. Our partners start at 12M. I assume you don't want that high amount but you would need to have 10% invested on your side ie land, inventory, equipment, surveys, buildings depending on the project or cash....anyway does this make sense?

Angel investors would be active in your company and you may look into that relationship. Yes you need to have your numbers, everything perfect.

PS 12 M USD is only for international. If you were in USA, we start at 50K.
    Last edited by beetee; 09-02-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Hi guys, sorry I haven’t replied until now! Business is very far from what I do but I am trying to learn as much as I can now. I am in the medicine field. The candy store idea is one that I have pushed aside because I now want to focus on Medicine. I am sure that many entrepreneurs have started with several ideas before honing down to what they end up doing. Let’s not make the candy store idea sound too crazy, haha.

I am more interested in hospital management as opposed to the actual practice. I think it will be wise for me to do an MBA in healthcare management before I actually start my business. Investors might be more willing to take me seriously after that. I am working on my business plan.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Zharlene View Post
    Hi guys, sorry I haven’t replied until now! Business is very far from what I do but I am trying to learn as much as I can now. I am in the medicine field. The candy store idea is one that I have pushed aside because I now want to focus on Medicine. I am sure that many entrepreneurs have started with several ideas before honing down to what they end up doing. Let’s not make the candy store idea sound too crazy, haha.

I am more interested in hospital management as opposed to the actual practice. I think it will be wise for me to do an MBA in healthcare management before I actually start my business. Investors might be more willing to take me seriously after that. I am working on my business plan.
    Well good for you with an MBA! I don't know if you need but good for you!

IOP Academy
    IOP Academy
    Array
    21 (3rd Floor), NWA , Punjabi Bagh Club Road, New Delhi 110026

Default Mass Communication College in Delhi

Apply for direct admission in Journalism & Mass Communication Colleges in Delhi. Join degree or diploma courses at RKFMA for Bachelor, Masters PG Diploma Mass Comm Institutes