Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluehost now giving free SSL's (TLS) to WordPress sites

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Default Bluehost now giving free SSL's (TLS) to WordPress sites

Noticed it a couple of months back with some clients.
    Called the other day to double check, and it's just WordPress sites right now.

Apparently they now support free SSL's via https://letsencrypt.org/

Good stuff. Thought I'd pass it along.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Nice. Bluehost has turned themselves into a WordPress preferred hosting platform the last few years. I think they're one of the few recommended hosts on the wordpress.org site and this will only help. Good for WordPress users and good for Bluehost.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

That's pretty cool. Their cPanel is hideous though.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by ComponY View Post
    Their cPanel is hideous though.
    Amen to that!!! It used to be just fine until some tasteless wannabe designer decided to put in a hideously unreadable font and Bluehost failed to exercise enough quality control to take his toys away. I've had cases where I had to copy and paste the text into notepad just to be able to read it. It amazes me that any reputable company would allow that eyesore to go unfixed.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I've dealt with so many crappy hosts over the years that if a badly designed C-Panel is the worst of it, to me that's pretty good.

Discount Prodigy
    Array

haha shared hosting

Array

Shared hosting or not, Let's Encrypt is a great product for free SSL.
    Fast Capital 360 - Small Business Funding & Small Business Loans

Not only bluhost but even ipage is giving free ssl for one website in a hosting account, and that is not for wordpress website. with ipage you can get 1 for any website on any platform. i am not sure if bluhost is also doing same or only providing for wordpress websites.
    Website design company in Hyderabad | Best urologist and Kidney Hospital Hyderabad | For website design website development and urologist in Hyderabad for kidney problem.

Array

Let's encrypt seems very good. It's free and should work with any hosting company. My favorite hosting company which is SiteGround encourages people to use Let's encrypt for free.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com

I use Let's Encrypt everywhere. I'd say they're almost as good as the expensive paid ones. I personally don't think anybody looks at the provider of your SSL cert and makes a judgement on it, even though the expensive ones light the toolbar up and look "more secure". There's more potential with Lets Encrypt for people to abuse the certs as they admit in their FAQ, but SSL certs are probably the wrong method to verfiy authenticity of a website and it's business practices. Lets Encrypt also don't work out of the box on Win XP :O. The old root server list doesn't have let's encrypt in it. Installing something non-IE no doubt fixes it though. Never heard anybody complain about broken cert messages yet.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle. I've just started a SHTF Prepper blog.