Thread: Anyone ever do purchasing for a corporation?

Default Anyone ever do purchasing for a corporation?

I had a guy ask me to drop my price from $804 to $800 as it would be easier for him to get approved faster. Can this be true?

I have never run into this before. Sometimes people ask for discounts but not to round down. I have an idea he just personally doesn't like being slightly off a round number. I know I hate being charged $499 for something.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Bobjob View Post
    I had a guy ask me to drop my price from $804 to $800 as it would be easier for him to get approved faster. Can this be true?
    Maybe he knows you won't move easily on price and figures "hey it's only $4 and it makes for a nice easy number". The approved faster line sounds like just that - a line.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobjob View Post
    I know I hate being charged $499 for something.
    So do you round up to $500 just to get a round number?
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

I've sold to a lot of purchasing people. The bottom line is every company has their own rules. My experience has been that in recent years, purchasing people are understaffed and overworked. I have often sold to them at a high price, because they just want to get the order off of their desk. I would really doubt they are just testing the waters to see if you will come off of your price. They could even have another bid for $801 and want to buy from you but need to take the low bidder. It happens.

I don't know your product or the situation, but if it's quantity 1, why not go for it and see what happens. Maybe you can ask some questions to figure out what is really going on...

So do you round up to $500 just to get a round number?[/QUOTE]

I have in the past but it is not what I normally do. I realize it is a mental thing that 499 is cheaper 500. But when I begin writing my check, all I can think about is why not an even 500!

Array

I wonder if the budget allocated to this purchase was set at $800, and they buyer thinks it easier to ask you to lower your price to fit this budget than it would be to ask his or her manager to raise the budget to accommodate the price quoted....

If you want to improve your negotiating skills and know how to handle something like this in the future read "Never Split the Difference" by Chris Voss. It's full of great advice.