Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blocking Unwanted Visitors

Well, I think today I'm going to do a WP update. It makes me nervous because if I have a problem, I won't know where to look. I've been doing a lot of custom software stuff recently and I haven't found anything that looks suspicious. I've dug a lot into the database and don't see anything that appears unusual there.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billbenson View Post
    Well, I think today I'm going to do a WP update. It makes me nervous because if I have a problem, I won't know where to look. I've been doing a lot of custom software stuff recently and I haven't found anything that looks suspicious. I've dug a lot into the database and don't see anything that appears unusual there.
    The main things that are generally responsible for updating issues are:

1. Skipping too many versions at once. If you're years behind...multiple versions behind...I wouldn't skip ahead too far. Maybe apply every other one, test. Repeat.
    2. Old plugins and themes that aren't compatible with new WordPress versions.
    3. Woo Commerce. Theme not updated to be compatible with newer Woo Commerce.
    4. Trying to run newer versions of WordPress (and plug ins) on servers running older versions of PHP and SQL.

Back everything up before proceeding.

Well, I did the updates. WP and all plugin's. I haven't found any issues so far... I was running 4.3.18.

Thanks for your help Harold.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billbenson View Post
    Well, I did the updates. WP and all plugin's. I haven't found any issues so far... I was running 4.3.18.

Thanks for your help Harold.
    4.3.18 isn't so bad. I thought it you were 2+ years back.
    No problem, any time.