Thread: Changing Direction

Array

Default Changing Direction

I started an LLC back in 2015 but admittedly have done very little with it. When it was started I stated it would be a consultation company (HR & Safety) and occasionally I do these things for some side work. With my regular job though it is few and far between. My question is this, I would like to keep the consultancy and eventually devote more time to that but at the same time I would like to use this business as an avenue to purchase/develop real estate. Do I separate them? Can I maintain the same name but split it into divisions? Just wondering how to approach this. Thank you.

The IRS is more likely to question expenses if you are using an LLC for all sorts of purposes rather than a narrow definable business. Some consulting here, some real estate developing there etc could be construed as individual hobbies and the LLC as a vehicle to try and write things off to avoid taxes. If you get into real estate developing, consider an entity just for that.

Array

I was thinking that. I would like to do both but maintain the same co. name. Could the current company be an umbrella with divisions?