Thread: Image Question

Default Image Question

I was looking at a site that has their images at webdamdb.com They appear to host images there rather than their own site. Does anyone know anything about this? I've never seen this before but then I've been out of commission for a while.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billbenson View Post
    I was looking at a site that has their images at webdamdb.com They appear to host images there rather than their own site. Does anyone know anything about this? I've never seen this before but then I've been out of commission for a while.

It's called a CDN, Content Delivery Network and it's pretty common. For instance WordPress has a built in CDN in Jetpack, but there are many others for various things.
    Some people host their ads in a CDN, video, sound files, pretty much anything that can cause a site to load slow using it's default resources, a CDN is essentially a faster server or delivery method that loads those things quicker.

If you host your company video on You Tube and then embed on your site because You Tube's resources are faster and more reliable, you're essentially using You Tube as a CDN.