Thread: Reasons not to use a personal loan for my business?

Default Reasons not to use a personal loan for my business?

I was wondering since my business got started it there were reasons not use a personal loan for my business. it's not glamorous but i take junked cars and sell the parts to local mechanic shops in my town. some people give me the darn cars for free just to haul them out of their yard. it's going good but i was going to try and get a business loan but i dont think the bank will think too much of it because i deal a lot in cash and dont deposit much. i got an offer in the mail i think it said it was from discover bank for a personal loan and am thinking about using that but am wondering if there is a risk to my business if i do that. thank you for this blog.

Array

Unless you absolutely need it, stick to dealing in cash. Just keep your books in great shape and highly accurate records of all transactions for when the tax man calleth.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

are you saying that there is a tax risk of using a personal loan for a business?

Array

Nope. Cash is something that can be "easily" hidden, or skimmed, and than kept off the books so the government doesn't see it.

The risk in the loan is that business slows down and you can't make the payments.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    Nope. Cash is something that can be "easily" hidden, or skimmed, and than kept off the books so the government doesn't see it.
    right. and that is why i think a personal loan has to be the way to go. because the bank cant see my true income either, i mean i can show them and be honest about it but if they only want to count whats going in and out of the account, its not going to be a whole lot. I know that the risk is that if i cant pay that could be trouble for myself. wouldnt do if i didnt think i could handle it. truth is i am just trying to take it to the next level. thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolphus View Post
    I was wondering since my business got started it there were reasons not use a personal loan for my business. it's not glamorous but i take junked cars and sell the parts to local mechanic shops in my town. some people give me the darn cars for free just to haul them out of their yard. it's going good but i was going to try and get a business loan but i dont think the bank will think too much of it because i deal a lot in cash and dont deposit much. i got an offer in the mail i think it said it was from discover bank for a personal loan and am thinking about using that but am wondering if there is a risk to my business if i do that. thank you for this blog.
    The risk is that you are personally guaranteeing the loan. The other is the risk of commingling your personal with your business and piercing any corporate veil that you have set up. So if you use a personal loan, either use the proceeds to make a loan to your separately set up business or classify it as a capital contribution. You're still on the hook personally if you default but it helps keep up the level of separation between you and your business.

Did you move through with the loan with Discover Bank? I am mulling all my options for a personal loan for a new business I am starting up and had not heard that Discover did anything other than credit cards. You can private message me if you don't want to publicly reveal the details.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

If you haven't set up an LLC and are running it as a sole proprietorship, then it's not commingling funds because you're basically running your business as extra income.
    However, you should keep a record of all personal funds loaned to the business. Especially if you are taking out lines of credit to finance the business.

If you are already an LLC, then yes you can still loan the business money, and you still need to keep accurate records of it.

I bootstrapped when I started so every dollar was personal funds. Back then I didn't worry about any of that, if I needed something and I had the money I purchased it. Took me a couple of years to get my business finances in order to where there was separation. I'm not saying not to worry about it, you should of course strive to do things the right way and keep the proper accounting...but you also do what you gotta do to get your business off the ground. Assuming we are talking about hundreds or low thousands and not tens of thousands.