Thread: Zen Cart

Default Zen Cart

Does anybody have any recent experience with Zen Cart or comparable? I'm looking for an open source install in its own directory site. I mention zen cart because I used to be quite familiar with it. I'm not interested in something that integrates with WordPress right now or a site maker sort of solution.

Thanks.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

There's also Shopify. Many hosts have it ready to one click install.
    https://www.shopify.com/

Look at your hosting dashboard. They usually have a couple of options.

Isn't shopify more of a site builder sort of thing?

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

So you don't want an ecommerce site, just ecommerce functionality on an existing site?

What exactly are you trying to do? It would help to understand how you need to use it, in order to help with suggestions.

On an existing site I want to put a cart into a subdirectory. I will link to it from the existing site. You can install ZenCart into a subdirectory like that. It has all of it's own unique tables and does not interact with the DB in the main site. Yes I know there will be some redundancy in the tables, but that is ok.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure you can install Shopify the same way. Actually, technically you can install or set up anything that way.
    If you're saying you need them to share a database, then that complicates things a bit and I'm not sure I'd do it that way.

I'm guessing the reasoning is so that existing users can access the ecommerce functionality without having to log in again or create new accounts?
    If that's the case, import your users into the ecommerce system so that they can use the same log in.

It depends on what you already have and how it's built. You don't want to create a security hole for your entire operation because your trying to implement some level of convenience.

How is the existing site built?

The existing site is wordpress. It has a cart that I don't like because it is integrated with WP and uses some of the same tables. This is good from a table optimization standpoint (you really try not to have redundant tables or tables containing the same info) but it does have drawbacks from transportability and some other standpoints. The biggest problem for me is I understand the ZenCart table structure as I have used it for years, and I don't fully understand the wordpress table structure or the WP plugin I'm using.

As I haven't used ZenCart recently, I was curious how it may be rated today. Reviews I have seen have been ok but not that informational. I just don't want to go down the ZenCart road if it is a mistake considering what I am trying to do.

I understand the negatives of not using a WP plugin cart from the standpoint of utilizing the same themes etc. Updates will need to be made in more than one place for the way I would like to do this.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I understand.

Unfortunately I don't use ZenCart so I can't help with any opinions about it, but maybe someone else will chime in.
    Why don't you just install it somewhere and test it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    I understand.

Unfortunately I don't use ZenCart so I can't help with any opinions about it, but maybe someone else will chime in.
    Why don't you just install it somewhere and test it out?
    That's what I'll do. I was just hoping someone here was familiar with it or similar programs.