Thread: Affiliate sales campaign question

Spera Connect
    Array
    Spera Connect

Default Affiliate sales campaign question

Hi everyone. I apologize if I missed an earlier thread on the topic, but I was wondering if anyone had any luck setting up an affiliate sales campaign (paying commissions to third parties based on click-through sales). If you've executed a campaign with a new product launch, I'm especially interested in any lessons learned.

I'm looking to set up a campaign for an online subscription service and am hoping some of you out there might have some good advice! Thanks in advance.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I've done affiliate marketing in the past and do have some lessons learned.

I followed all the programs like Wealthy Affiliate and they basically boiled down to knowing how to market, create content, copy write and run ads. Pretty much the same things you need to know to do anything online.

First thing I learned right away was that it takes either a content heavy, niche site or some savvy adwords skills to get any traction. If you aren't running direct ads to your offer, people need a reason other than the offer to even see it. Back in the day you could set up a Clickbank landing page, do some cleaver copy writing, some SEO, blog some articles and get a few clicks a day. Those days are over.

I had my best success with eBay and Amazon on a music blog that I used to write. I used to make about $500 mo. from eBay and maybe $50-$60 from Amazon. Not sure what those programs pay anymore. Somewhere out there I still have an Amazon affiliate link that pays me about $30 every few months. I honestly have no idea where it is and haven't spent the time to look.

But things have changed. Affiliate programs don't pay what they used to. There's tons of fraud so they're much tighter on what you're allowed to do. Search and how people access the internet has changed. Most users are mobile now, and a lot of search is voice on those devices.

Users are also much more savvy today than they were, and so many people are using ad blockers that it's struggle to even get your ads seen.

So basically, it's much harder than it used to be, programs pay less than they use to, rules are much stricter, and people use the internet differently than before. You really have to learn how to market online to have a chance and that takes time. From what I see today the most successful affiliates are partnerships between big companies. Really hard for a little guy to make any money (especially on a small budget) because whatever your offer is there is surely multiple people pushing the same thing with far more resources.

Spera Connect
    Array
    Spera Connect

Thanks for the detailed reply Harold. So it looks like much of your response is directed towards being a publisher and receiving commissions. I'm wondering about being the advertiser and paying commissions for others to go out and sell your product. Do you have experience in that realm as well?

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

No I don't, but a short time ago me and my former business partners were discussing having an affiliate program and figured out that we needed an experienced person to run it. It's a HUGE undertaking that can go very wrong and lose you a lot of money if you don't know what you're doing. If you do,and it's run well it can be successful. There are many good marketers out there, but they are very discriminating about what they promote because it's time consuming and can be expensive.

I highly recommend consulting with someone with direct experience running programs. Or hook up with a 3rd party company who will run it for you.

I don't recommend trying to figure it out for yourself. But you are on the right track asking for feed back from experienced marketers...who would basically be your target audience for the program. IF you run a solid program that has a solid offer, for a solid product, it can be pretty lucrative.

Something I learned a while back and it still holds true...Some of the best affiliate managers out there are in the Adult business. Hang out at an adult forum and observe some of the conversations about running programs. That industry has it down to a science.

Spera Connect
    Array
    Spera Connect

Thanks for the advice. I will continue to try to network with experienced marketers.

Array

In affiliate marketing if you have the passion and the experience on the field there will be no problem in marketing the product or service, creating content, copywriting as well as running the paid ads.