Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logo Design

Array

Default Logo Design

I am looking at options for a logo, I have visited fiverr, 99Designs, etc. There appears to be some talented artists out there. What I don't know is what type of things, other than their portfolio, should I be looking for? Types of formats? Standard size? Etc.? I really just want to use the logo for web site, business cards, documents, etc.
    Last edited by TAG; 02-07-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

You want something in vector format. A vector image can be resized so it can be smaller on a business card and larger on flyer. It's easier to use with different mediums. Here's an article that talks about logo formats. I don't think there's a standard size for logos, which is another reason for using vectors.

A logo should generally be simple. The more complex you make it the less it will work across different mediums.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Many times people come to me with a logo that I still have to fiddle with in GIMP to make it work on different things and in different areas.
    You also want make sure you get a .png with a transparent background, and a light and dark version of it. May seem obvious, but you have to be prepared for all the situations that you may need to use it in from your website, to social media profiles, stationery and so on.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Be aware, the sites you mentioned, and there are a slew of others, are people who don't know anything about logos selling to people who don't know anything about logos. A logo is something much more than a pretty graphic you think looks nice.

I'll avoid the usual soap box speech that pretty much any graphic designer could give you but one core element of your logo must be considered which is why the logo mills are such a raw deal because this cardinal principle of logo design is completely missing from the logo mill model. In addition to simple which has already been mentioned, it must be unique to set you apart in the market, easily distinguished from everyone else. For these reasons, it must not be rushed. What's easily forgotten in the heat of design is the mileage you need to be getting. The design is likely to last the life of your business, especially when done correctly.

Another hidden cost in logo design is the cost of failure which varies greatly depending on your business model. If the finished logo will only appear on business cards, there's considerably less impact than if it will be needed for signs, vehicle graphics, national ad campaign, etc. The more you stand to lose by getting it wrong, the less you can afford to get taken in by the logo mills.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Also, a lot of these cheap logo people are just using software templates or parts from sites like Graphic River. They aren't actually "designing" anything. Think about it, what talented, educated graphic designer or marketer would do a logo for $25. I'm not a logo designer and I still wouldn't get out of bed for $25.

Array

I appreciate this information. I agree I don't want to go so cheap that it bites me down the road. I do need to be reasonably frugal though since startup capital is minimal. I am open to better suggestions if anyone has them.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TAG View Post
    I appreciate this information. I agree I don't want to go so cheap that it bites me down the road. I do need to be reasonably frugal though since startup capital is minimal. I am open to better suggestions if anyone has them.
    I've never had a logo and I don't think it's hurt me. I guess it depends on what kind of business and what your marketing strategy is going to be. Out of all the expenses to set up a business, if you haven't already budgeted for a logo as part of your start up costs, I wouldn't make it such a big deal now. Do better when you can do better. No since in wasting money on something cheap now that you will regret later and then have to re-brand your business.

Array

I did put it in the budget but didn't know the cost was so high. I understand it though, good quality works takes time and effort.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

If you've got some basic photoshop skills you may be able to find something pre-made and make slight changes to colors and such to fit your needs.
    https://graphicriver.net/category/logo-templates

Array

There are some free logo making web sites that can produce a decent logo pretty quickly. You could play around and see what you can come up with before spending money. You can always change it later. We have used 3 different logos over the years.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com