Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Discussion about tv show "The Profit" or any other businesss-related show

Sit. Stay safe!
    Array

Default Discussion about tv show "The Profit" or any other businesss-related show

Hi guys,

Since Harold turned me on to "The Profit" I've been watching them all, or at least the last few seasons. Great show! The latest one was especially wonderful, a 13-year old kid launched a cookie business, but was successful really because of his mom's support. I'm sure she's the one doing all the bookkeeping and contracts and such, definitely all the legal stuff since he's under age. But she was fantastic because she seemed to come from the inner city and School of Hard Knocks and she channeled all of her street smarts and determination to succeed into helping her son succeed. Very impressive woman!

What I really wanted to chat about, though, was the product. I don't mean to start a flame war, but welcome education on this. When starting a business, you're always told to find an underserved niche. How in the world are cookies an underserved niche? There are a baziilion and one cookie companies.

However, it looks to me like she sort of "forced" a niche by really clever marketing: she sold the cookies to local businesses who then serve them to their customers and clients for free. Everybody raved at how good they were, and word spread locally. Then word seemed to spread to media channels, because they mentioned some major companies who wanted to buy them in quantities they couldn't produce so they missed those opportunities, but that was proven demand for THEIR product.

What do y'all think about this episode?

I saw the commercials for the episode but did not see it.

I adopted the business idea that there is always room for one more a long time ago. People say "find a niche" because it increases your chance success. I would say the cookie peoples niche was their marketing.

Sit. Stay safe!
    Array

Sure, and I can see that working on the local level. But as they move on to selling online, I don't see that it will be successful long-term. The most important part of their product was "no preservatives, all natural" cookies that are delicious like they're fresh baked. Once you get into larger distribution, it's hard to control your product quality with no preservatives.

Maybe they'll be smart enough, or Marcus will coach them, into migrating the business saavy into something that will succeed on a nationwide or global scale.

I watched the episode. I agree, I question the ability to control the temperature accurately. They never tasted the cookie after it was frozen. I believe Creative Cookie would have gone through all the steps Marcus did once Mr Cory's made the Ellen show.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I didn't see this episode but will look for it over the weekend and will comeback to this thread.

Array

The Profit is one of my favorite shows as well. Unfortunately we are tightwads and have only the basic cable package which doesn't include CNBC but I have managed to see all episodes up to this year and two from this year including the cookie one.

Now you mentioned in your first post that a 13 year old kid launched the business. As I recall what they said he launched it when he was 7 or 8. He baked the cookies and loaded them in his little red wagon and pulled it down the street selling them out of his wagon so that is pretty amazing and now even before Marcus it is a $ 100,000.00 business. I thought the kid was an interesting character. I liked the part when the kid told Marcus his dream was to meet Jamie Dimon (President of JP Morgan, Chase) and Marcus took him to meet Jamie.

Cookies to me seem like a tough business to carve a niche in. Of course being on TV can help a lot. Cupcakes are another tough nut but Wicked Good turned into a big business after being on Shark Tank. All natural ingredients is a nice selling point but anyone can do that and if they are local the short shelf life isn't much of an issue. Still, I liked the episode and think they will do well. Freezing the cookies should be a solution to the shelf life but the proof is in the tasting. The mom seems like she could be a tough person to deal with.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com

Sit. Stay safe!
    Array

We don't pay for CNBC either, so I've been watching it on their live stream online service. The problem with that is they only have the current season up for streaming, so the only way to watch earlier shows is to rent them from Amazon Prime or something. Ugh!

Anyway, about that episode, one of the things I really especially loved was the mom. She was I think the under-appreciated hero in the story. She's clearly come from hard economic living situation, inner-city schools or something that's jaded her so she has no self esteem other than "you mess with me and I'll mess you up". However, she has enough smarts to guide her son into succeeding in the business. There's more to her than she lets on. I hope she is able to form a good friendship with the other business ladies that Marcus introduced her to, because I think she's really CEO material with a little peer support.

Some of the episodes are fun because they reveal really stupid things that the business owners do. I forget exactly what it was, but one of the episodes this season actually made me gasp. It was something financial, though. Also, I really learn a lot about running my own business by watching the show. It was Marcus always asking for numbers that made me research what numbers I should know for my online retail business, and then set up spreadsheets or whatever I needed to make sure I track them and know them.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by SumpinSpecial View Post
    Some of the episodes are fun because they reveal really stupid things that the business owners do. I forget exactly what it was, but one of the episodes this season actually made me gasp. It was something financial, though.
    The Planet Popcorn episode where the business dealt almost exclusively in cash and had zero controls for handling the money and access to it.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Array

I do think that many business owners who got into the habit of watching every episode would turn out to be better operators from the things they learn from watching the show. I am actually watching this years episode 3 online as I write this. Try watchfree dot ws and they have all the episodes from all the seasons. I liked the mom in the cookie episode as well. She was a cool lady but very much a worrier.

Array

This weeks episode made me think about SumpinSpecial since the last half was about pet supplies. It was interesting that he invested in a chain of 6 pet stores a few years ago and now they have 80 stores. I believe they are up to about 50 million in sales so there is a nice target for you with your business.