Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Password madness!

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    ...BUT I do have to keep records that include a lot of personal info for clients and investors including ss#s, address, financial info, bank info, wire transfer info, copies of checks, spouse info even copies of signatures etc.

I do NOT keep that info on a computer (just paper files, boxes full of paper) for fear of a hack. Would love to know of a foolproof way to keep in pdf form on computer.
    All of those things are very valuable to a thief for a variety of reasons. It's actually a treasure trove of information that someone can do a lot with.

Sadly nothing is full proof, but that doesn't mean it's hopeless. For me it's about making it too much trouble for the average malicious hacker looking for an easy opportunity, and being able to recover quickly should disaster strike.

The following are my preferences and recommendations and by no means the only way to go.

On a Windows computer Windows Defender is pretty good. They keep it updated and are very quick about security patches.
    I'm not a big fan of Norton's or any others that you mentioned anymore for PC's. Just a personal choice. If I were to use a 3rd party antivirus I would probably go back to Avast.

Additional tools you can use are Malware bytes as an additional scan to run every now and then. Keep your browsers updated and use extensions like https everywhere https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere and a pop up blocker.

Be aware of clicking on emails, following janky social media links, downloading things, sticking things in your computer (flash drives and such), using a VPN when on any other wifi other than your own, and so on. A lot of this is just keeping software updated and using common sense.

For securing your documents and anything else of importance I recommend a 3-2-1 backup plan.

1. A copy on your password protected computer. You can use password protected folders ( see previous post) and you can password protect PDF's.
    2, A back up copy on a NAS ( network attacked storage) that you can set encryption on ( just about every NAS has encryption). Anything from a multi disk NAS to a pocket sized back up drive is better than nothing.
    3. A copy offsite or cloud back up. The free cloud storage that comes with MS Office and Apple products is good for the basics. But you may want to get your own service too if you want more features and to back up everything,.

The premise of the 3-2-1 plan is that you won't experience a failure of all 3 at the same time, and if your main computer becomes infected and/or unrecoverable (as with ransomware) you can easily take out, destroy, and replace the hard drive and grab one of your other 2 backups to get back up and running quickly. (keep your Windows key handy so that you can reinstall Windows).

And set regular backups on your computer.

Nothing wrong with paper. While it is hack proof, it is also fragile. Maybe think about getting a fireproof safe.

Discount Prodigy
    Array

I have like the same 3 three passwords lol. When I need to make variations I make variations that i can remember. Never really had the issue of forgetting passwords / pins.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

I'm with Harold on not liking software such as Norton. Some virus writers create their bugs specifically for Norton so you can get infected undetected. Harold also mentioned Avast. I agree, that would be a good choice.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Discount Prodigy
    Array

I don't use virus softwares period. Windows comes with its own virus software that works just fine. Don't want malware or viruses? Don't go on sketchy websites, open stupid emails, or download things that you don't know enough about. Ez

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Don't want malware or viruses? Don't go on sketchy websites, open stupid emails, or download things that you don't know enough about. Ez
    But it's not that easy. How about malicious code buried in advertisements shown on news sites? Even with Adblock Plus I still get some redirects squeak through.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Discount Prodigy
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    But it's not that easy. How about malicious code buried in advertisements shown on news sites? Even with Adblock Plus I still get some redirects squeak through.
    What websites are you going on that have ads like that? I don't look at the news on my computer, I mostly do web design, school work, etc. on my MacBook. As for my PC, I mostly download Steam games. Everything else is on my phone. People will fall for the website that locks you out of your computer that says it's Microsoft because no one knows you can CTRL - Alt - Delete and close it with Task Manager. It's easy for me to understand computers probably because I grew up with them, but why is it so difficult for older people to understand them? Why is it so foreign?

Array

I have a "throw away" yahoo email address. If I leave the Yahoo home page open, or scroll through, there will be well over 100 blocked ads. I have had a virus come in through one of these ads before (hence the Adblock software).
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I would argue that those aren't trustworthy news sites and you shouldn't be visiting them if that's the level of sketchy behavior they exhibit. Typical ad code is going to have trackers and such, but it shouldn't be anything malicious or the new thing...using your browser to mine for bitcoin without telling you.

Most legitimate news sites aren't going to do that and risk pissing off their readers. Privately owned blogs do that.

Sometimes sites get infected and the owners don't know it, but typically large organizations are on top of it.

Still, if you keep your browser updated, use a VPN on sites you aren't sure of or when not using your own wifi, use HTTPS everywhere and keep your browser free of rogue browser helper objects you really shouldn't have many issues like that. Most bad things are invited in. Meaning you did some action ( or neglected to do some action) to let them in. It's rare for something to infect your computer without you doing something to let it in.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I have a "throw away" yahoo email address. If I leave the Yahoo home page open, or scroll through, there will be well over 100 blocked ads. I have had a virus come in through one of these ads before (hence the Adblock software).
    Yahoo is THE WORST. Stop trusting them. It's spam central. They've already been hacked multiple times and EVERY user account compromised. Biggest hack in history.

I would throw away and burn anything that has to do with Yahoo with the exception of their Fantasy Sports platform, and even then ONLY use a Yahoo email address for just that and nothing else. I would not use that email address even as a throwaway. It's burned.

By the way, it's owned by Verizon now. So expect a bunch of Verizon marketing to you very soon. Verizon is also a proponent of repealing Net Neutrality and has questionable privacy practices.

In case you can't tell, I'm not a fan of Yahoo.

Discount Prodigy
    Array

No. No more Yahoo. It's going to go away and get turned into @verizon.net emails. Go to Gmail with the rest of us.