Thread: Need some startup advice

Unhappy Need some startup advice

I currently have decided to move forward in my persuit to run a small business. However, I have not done a business name search, can I lawfully start my business without it and what kind of trouble could I get into? Secondly , Do I HAVE to register the business, and why? what if I dont? Im in Canada,lol. I know , I know ... it doesnt look all that great for the normal Canadian citizen business person here,lol .. But any advice would be helpful. Thanks eh

Array

You can start a business under your personal name. If you want to use anything else you will need to register a DBA at the very least. Go to Service Canada and for $60 you can register a name and get your GST/HST/PST registration as well.

As for a name search, it's up to you. Legally, you can use any name that's out there. However, if you use a trademarked name it's user beware. I have to be extremely careful in how I present my business name as there is another manufacturer an 1 1/2 east of me, serving the same industry, with a very similar name. I didn't realize this when I chose the name.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Array

For your business, you can use any name. Just make sure it isn't registered or trademarked already. The best thing would be to search it up and also get a domain name. Most businesses have an online identity. You should go for a name which has a domain name available. So that you can create your website and Social media pages around it easily.

Quote Originally Posted by bella.lopez View Post
    For your business, you can use any name. Just make sure it isn't registered or trademarked already. The best thing would be to search it up and also get a domain name. Most businesses have an online identity. You should go for a name which has a domain name available. So that you can create your website and Social media pages around it easily.
    Indeed, that $13/year will thank you later when your ready to launch online.