Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New business website

Array

Default New business website

Hello, very soon I'm thinking of starting a new business, a small family hotel. For this I
    I will need a website. Can you recommend me where I can do this. I dont have a very large budget. Thank you in advance!

Array

You might check out https://www.hermesthemes.com/

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

What do you consider "Not a large budget"? Under $5k or under $500?
    Also, what do you expect this website to do for you?

Is it just for information to show facilities, and amenities, phone number and contact form and that's it?
    Or do you expect it to be a full featured website that takes reservations, handles customer service, and a place to update special rates, and book events?

Before you can determine where to go to get a website built, whether to build it yourself, and costs....you first have to know what you need. It's not all the same, or all one cost.

Then you'll have to determine if your needs match your budget, and then evaluate what you're actually able to get with the budget that you have, which probably means sacrificing a few wants until you can do better.

My first suggestion to anyone who says they have a low budget is to go to Squarespace and do it yourself.
    If what they have isn't enough for your needs, then you need to get serious about your budget.

Bottom line, you will not get everything you want and have it done well on the cheap. But again, we don't know what you consider a low budget.
    Could be what you've set aside for this is enough to have a professional build it for you.
    First, know what you want and need.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

To what Harold said, I would just add exposure. How will the site be found? What are you doing to gain bookings? Spending money on a site no one sees makes the budget irrelevant because any amount is a waste of money. Trying to do it yourself or on the cheap only to have no one book a stay dooms you to a big disappointment with your new business. We're not saying any of this to be discouraging, we're all about small business. It's only fitting that you have realistic goals and not have a low site budget serve to undermine your success. In a hospitality business like a hotel, you need to be easy to find and easy to do business with.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

I think it's good to say what your business is. So we can give you advice. How many pages does your site have? Is it an online store? What is the second budget?

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Portip View Post
    I think it's good to say what your business is. So we can give you advice. How many pages does your site have? Is it an online store? What is the second budget?
    What do you mean under the second budget

Portip, If you would read the post you would know everything you just asked..... Didn't read 1 work of the post, just the title.

OP, Like cbscreative said, if no one can find your site.... why have one? it's not about building a site. It's about the built in SEO that the builder puts in to it and what you do with the site after it is built. I have my original site from many years ago. You couldn't find that site on the internet if you spend a year trying. I just have it because it was my first and back in the day, it ranked well. On the other hand, my site that I have now is built for 2018 and is on the 1st page for most key word searches.

It sounds to me like you are trying to do too much with little money, which means, you really don't have the funds to do this but you are going to do it anyway..... and the odds are that you will lose the funds that you do have trying it.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Portip View Post
    There must definitely be such a reservation page. Maybe my site should be about 3-5 pages. I think it's normal!

Array

I think you should not expect too much action from a website. You may have already done this but try getting listed with an existing booking site such as Airbnb.com , Homeaway.com or any number of booking sites. That’s where people will be looking. Of course you need a nice looking site, great pics featuring your rooms and amenities. If it’s just pics and copy it can be inexpensive like Harold said. I'm not sure but some of those sites may let you submit pics and copy that they will include with your listing.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kiarta View Post
    There must definitely be such a reservation page. Maybe my site should be about 3-5 pages. I think it's normal!
    Ok, based on experience with dozens of people over the years who say "It should only be 3-5 pages", there is no way that it's only going to be 3-5 pages. If you don't have a clear understanding of what you need going in, you're going to waste whatever money you spend and not be happy with what you got for the money.

You will also run into conflict with your web designer when you tell them up front that "it should only be 3-5 pages" because you're trying to get the lowest possible price, and then realize that you need 10 more pages that you hadn't thought about. They will halt full stop until you come up with more money.

That's why you need to know everything that you need so that you can get an accurate understanding of actual cost to build it. You cannot "one more thing" an experienced web designer.

Off the top of my head just the basics are:

About
    Contact
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Home Page
    Reservations Page ( and functionality including credit card processor)
    A page describing your room's features and amenities
    Rates and payment and refund polices.
    If there are any other things in the hotel like entertainment, restaurant or meeting spaces, you will need pages for that.
    Any other services that you offer like Concierge, transpiration shuttles and so on.

With all the above you will need professionally done images of your property, rooms, staff, and amenities

Do not attempt to build a feature website without professionally done images and a clear understanding of who will write the copy ( and what that entails) for those pages.

If you've never done any copywriting, you won't magically figure how it's done as you're rushing to provide your designer with copy for each page. You will turn in junk that will not help your site. It will actually hurt it.
    If you're not a photographer or at least have some skills, you will not take a bunch of pictures with your smart phone and magically have them look awesome. Again, be honest about what you have the skills to do and what you don't.

Along with that you're going to want on site SEO done properly, and all the start up bells and whistles associated like Analytics installed,

So first you need to take stock of what you have in the way of marketing materials, and do an honest assessment of your skills and budget to determine which things you can actually provide, and which you will need someone to do for you.

Don't go into a website design expecting things to magically fall into place, or that everything you're imagining is all included. It's not all the same. Many web designers tell you specifically what they do for the price quoted, or will ask questions about what you need.

If you don't know those things, they cannot build what you want or need.

With this you should be able to determine if you have the skills to build your own using something like Squarespace and if that's going to be enough for you, or how to get realistic quotes from designers based on what you actually need.