Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45

Thread: New business website

  1. #11
    Refugee from the .com
    Array
    cbscreative's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    2,915

    Default

    Amen, Harold!

    If you don't carefully plan and execute the site, it will end up hurting more than helping. People looking for a nice place to stay aren't going to be attracted to the "Look ma I did this myself" approach that makes them wonder if they'll be sleeping with critters.
    Steve Chittenden

    Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

    "Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

  2. #12
    Registered User
    Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Cocoa Beach Florida
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Yeah I would keep it to 3-5 pages like the others suggested and there are a lot of great hotel themes on themeforest.net as well.

  3. #13
    Web Consultant
    Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    9,855
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Just to add to this thread. I generally have a 4-6 week turnaround on new sites. Technically building the site is not the time suck. I can do it in my sleep.

    I could honestly build them a week or less. The other 5 weeks of time is chasing the clients down for marketing materials, images, logo and such.
    Getting them to write some basic copy about their company and what it does.
    Getting them to hunt down what their passwords are for the things I need to work on.
    Communications black outs that go days or even weeks, and overall just waiting on things from them.

    If I have to deal with an organization or multiple decision makers it can be far worse.

    You'd be amazed how many people cannot simply describe their own company and services.


    So when you're shopping for the cheapest professional, ask yourself how prepared are you to be an easy client?
    If you're unorganized, have nothing prepared, and take forever to respond to emails, no professional is going to give you a deal.

    Everything with us is time. If you seem like the kind of client that will waste my time and drag a project out for weeks and months, you pay max rate (if I even take the job).

    That's just how it is.

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    Just to add to this thread. I generally have a 4-6 week turnaround on new sites. Technically building the site is not the time suck. I can do it in my sleep.

    I could honestly build them a week or less. The other 5 weeks of time is chasing the clients down for marketing materials, images, logo and such.
    Getting them to write some basic copy about their company and what it does.
    Getting them to hunt down what their passwords are for the things I need to work on.
    Communications black outs that go days or even weeks, and overall just waiting on things from them.

    If I have to deal with an organization or multiple decision makers its far worse.

    You'd be amazed how many people cannot simply describe their own company and services.


    So when you're shopping for the cheapest professional, ask yourself how prepared are you to be an easy client?
    If you're unorganized, have nothing prepared, and take forever to respond to emails, no professional is going to give you a deal.

    Everything with us is time. If you seem like the kind of client that will waste my time and drag a project out for weeks and months, you pay max rate.
    That's just how it is.
    What I try to do to avoid the "forever" thing is ask for the lot in one lump. By doing a re-installation for a client I already knew what I needed so I just asked for everything and confirmed everything right there and then.

    That and combined I knew how to install that custom application from the last time I did it for him shortly before I was able to do the whole thing in 20 minutes.

    But if ever has a client that takes long to reply and such then they may need to wait until I am open again as stated on my website. Except for ToS violation activities. In such case if the client still act in this manner I would likely resort to suspension until the customer "catches up" and/or take more extreme means depending on the case itself.

    Because I agree clients who act like this are indeed time and possible additional risks if not handled properly (hence for the suspension).

  5. #15
    Web Consultant
    Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    9,855
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HumaneHosting View Post
    What I try to do to avoid the "forever" thing is ask for the lot in one lump. By doing a re-installation for a client I already knew what I needed so I just asked for everything and confirmed everything right there and then.

    That and combined I knew how to install that custom application from the last time I did it for him shortly before I was able to do the whole thing in 20 minutes.

    But if ever has a client that takes long to reply and such then they may need to wait until I am open again as stated on my website. Except for ToS violation activities. In such case if the client still act in this manner I would likely resort to suspension until the customer "catches up" and/or take more extreme means depending on the case itself.

    Because I agree clients who act like this are indeed time and possible additional risks if not handled properly (hence for the suspension).
    Some people are just unorganized and horrible at simple business communications. You can tell who they are pretty easily. The sad part is that they never correlate how much they are paying with how much of other people's time they waste.

    I have penalties for clients who do this and they don't get their sites turned over until they pay it. They know ahead of time that price is based on time and that if they are the reason it goes over time (and have not communicated anything what so ever), that means it's over budget and I'm not eating it.

    All it takes is simple communication. Some people just cannot do it.

    As you can tell I have no sympathy for people like this.

  6. #16
    Web Consultant
    Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    9,855
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I've even joked that I should put an option on my site that just says "Give me your logo, colors, tell me about your company, and then don't bother me for 7 days. You will have a well designed, well written, SEO'ed website with all the bells and whistles that sells your products and services like a Pro. Done."

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    I've even joked that I should put an option on my site that just says "Give me your logo, colors, tell me about your company, and then don't bother me for 7 days. You will have a well designed, well written, SEO'ed website with all the bells and whistles that sells your products and services like a Pro. Done."
    Hahaha that's one way to squeeze some lemon into lemonade!

  8. #18
    Registered User
    Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    "Give me your logo, colors, tell me about your company, and then don't bother me for 7 days. You will have a well designed, well written, SEO'ed website with all the bells and whistles that sells your products and services like a Pro. Done."
    And all for $100. Sign me up.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

  9. #19
    Web Consultant
    Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    9,855
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    And all for $100. Sign me up.
    LOL, not quite, but I could do volume without the headaches that way. Certainly cheaper. Reminds of an old bartender, joke, "This job would be awesome if it wasn't for the customers".

  10. #20
    Registered User
    Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    Just to add to this thread. I generally have a 4-6 week turnaround on new sites. Technically building the site is not the time suck. I can do it in my sleep.

    I could honestly build them a week or less. The other 5 weeks of time is chasing the clients down for marketing materials, images, logo and such.
    Getting them to write some basic copy about their company and what it does.
    Getting them to hunt down what their passwords are for the things I need to work on.
    Communications black outs that go days or even weeks, and overall just waiting on things from them.

    If I have to deal with an organization or multiple decision makers it can be far worse.

    You'd be amazed how many people cannot simply describe their own company and services.


    So when you're shopping for the cheapest professional, ask yourself how prepared are you to be an easy client?
    If you're unorganized, have nothing prepared, and take forever to respond to emails, no professional is going to give you a deal.

    Everything with us is time. If you seem like the kind of client that will waste my time and drag a project out for weeks and months, you pay max rate (if I even take the job).

    That's just how it is.
    I am not a web designer and do not know the first thing about SEO, or any thing about the interactive functions of a site. However, I do get clients that need a site. As Harold said they have no idea how to start and are generally too busy to be engaged.

    What I do, is create what I call a "mock up" on some simple template program. Insert photos, write copy etc. Then the client can turn it over to a pro. They can then lift the photo's and copy, rearrange, incorporate SEO and create a professional version. The web designer at least has the basic info and can see the general concept needed. Saves time and money and most importantly gets the process started. As Harold said, otherwise it's a back and forth nightmare.

    Web sites are not what I do, but sometimes its an important part of the overall picture and I hate waiting for the client to do it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •