Thread: Clearance Question

Default Clearance Question

This year I purchased some unique U.S. quarters at .35 cents each (wholesale). I was able to sell these items for a profit for awhile; however, interest has strongly fallen. So here are the options I am looking at:

Option 1: Sell the remaining quarters at .30 cents, which will sell at a steady pace. (I will be selling at a .5 cents loss, but instead of being .35 cents in the hole I will be .30 cents in the hole)

Option 2: Sell the quarters to myself at .25 cents and use as normal currency. (I will be selling at a .10 loss, but instead of being .35 cents in the hole I will be .10 cents in the hole. As well as having + .25 cents personally)

This is my first go at clearance. Please let me know your constructive thoughts and if I am missing something. I want to explore all options, but also avoid any unforeseen pitfalls.

//There is no sales tax for US currency. I have 250 quarters remaining.

Thanks,

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

The worst case scenario is option #2 where you have to eat the extra 10 cents you paid on the remaining 250 quarters. So worst case is you're out $25, which is hardly a lot. Still there's no reason not to try to make more. When you were able to sell these quarters at a profit, how much did each sell for? Are you sure they'll sell at 30 cents? If so would they still sell at 35 cents?

You can also offer a discount when people buy more than one quarter. You'd have to decide on a price that leads to a a discount that would entice people. I doubt this is the right price, but if you sole at 35 cents you could then offer 3 for $1. It's not much of a savings though.

In the end keep in mind the total amount of money involved. Like I said, worst case for you is you're out $25. If you go with 30 cents as a price you're hoping to recover $12.50. Since there's not a lot of money involved, I wouldn't spend too much time thinking about this. Pick a price. Add something to the display that says clearance or sale or something to note the drop in price, and then see what happens.

Hope that helps.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Is there any chance that the quarters might be valued at much more than 0.35 sometime in the future? Could you just hold on to them in the hope of an eventual rise in value? ~six rolls of quarters in the back of a drawer somewhere doesn't amount to much space....

How much work is it to sell the quarters for 30 cents? If you are selling them one at a time, it sounds like a lot of work to make a nickel, or $12.50 in the aggregate. Assuming you have concluded that there is no great upside, I would take my $25 loss and just spend the quarters.